balancer ok to use?

-

Jimmy428

Reaction score
Does this balancer look ok to use? Rubber is bulging slightly in places. Thanks in advance. This is for a 273.

20140120_133559_zpsf4c72725.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On a stock rebuild in a cruiser ? Maybe.
Any thing beyond that I would change it.
Summit has a stock replacement for $77 and an SFI approved one for $144.

Is it a fresh build? If so, did you use old crapped up rings and bearings and other internal parts? If you did, then go ahead with the balancer cause it'll match right up.

Is it a fresh build? If so, did you use old crapped up rings and bearings and other internal parts? If you did, then go ahead with the balancer cause it'll match right up.

Lol thanks for the laugh.

This is far from a rebuild. Just an old engine looking to buy some time with this balancer. The old balancer was completely shot with rubber missing and inertia ring wobbled around.

Reason for all this is ive been hunting a nasty vibration in the car for some time.

Car is a 66 valiant 273 commando, 727, 8 3/4, 3.23 with an unknown converter. Car runs awesome besides a mean vibration that starts around 50 and intensifies the faster you go. Rythmic pulsating feels like the car is falling apart.

Things ive done
1. Balance wheels
2. Check for loose stuff in general
3. Balance shaft
4. Swap balancer

With each thing done it has significanly improved, yet still there. Im hoping the engine was not hurt by the old balancer or shaft being off balance. Rear main has a small leak.

Things I will do next.
1. Tailshaft bushing ( yoke was hard to slip in. Very hard so maybe out of balance shaft ruined it)
2. New drums and bearings (needs drums anyway)
3.new converter (Want 3k dynamic anyway)

So thats what Ive been doing for a while now. Just want a smooth ride. Any pointers would be appreciated. I dont know if any one thing caused my issues or if it was a collective effort. Thanks in advance.

-
Back