Balancer Picture for 440+6

-

rklein383

Reaction score
My son recently bought a 67 notchback that now has a 69 440 in it (E code on pad by distrubutor). It has a much different harmonic balancer than my 69 440 in my 383-S fastback. I have had the 440 25 years and was told it was an original 440+6 engine. However, I know it has the small rods. The six pack that is on it has a very early code date of 101st day of the year so it's possible this is an early 440+6 with small rods. I was wondering if my son got lucky and got a 440+6 block. Does anyone have any pics showing a 440+6 balancer?
Thanks,
Rod

Rod%27s+383-S.jpg

My son recently bought a 67 notchback that now has a 69 440 in it (E code on pad by distrubutor). It has a much different harmonic balancer than my 69 440 in my 383-S fastback. I have had the 440 25 years and was told it was an original 440+6 engine. However, I know it has the small rods. The six pack that is on it has a very early code date of 101st day of the year so it's possible this is an early 440+6 with small rods. I was wondering if my son got lucky and got a 440+6 block. Does anyone have any pics showing a 440+6 balancer?
Thanks,
Rod

Welcome Rod, first off I'm pretty sure that the first 440-6 pack to get the beefier rods was in 1970. Also, you mentioned you got the E code off the pad by the distributor, do you mean underneath the distributor or across from the distributor on the drivers side of the engine just in front of the valley tray.
I've got pictures of the 383-440 steel crank and 400 cast balancer but so far can't find the 440-6 balancer.http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/22.html

One other thing, I'm not aware of any difference between the standard 440 and 440-6 blocks as far as I know it was all internal concerning the rods.

Terry

I got the E just in front of the valley pan on the machined pad. The balancer looks like a cast crank balancer though.
Rod

I got the E just in front of the valley pan on the machined pad. The balancer looks like a cast crank balancer though.
Rod

Hey Rod, grab yourself a mirror and check to see if there is any cast in wording or part numbers on the front of the balancer. If it's for a cast crank it should say those words.

Gets right down to it, you really have no idea what is in that motor. Just because the block may be for a certain year, it doesn't mean it has the matching crank and rods.

And yes, as someone already mentioned 70 was the first year for the heavy rods. They were used in both six pack and 4V motors alike

-
Back