Ball joint replacement questions.

-

Dartthunder340

Reaction score
I need to replace the upper and lower ball joints on my '67 Dart. Never done this before and have just started research. The car originally came with drum brakes and has been upgraded to Wilwood discs. I believe these to be the "small" lower ones? Also research on here leads me to think everything was the same until 1973?

Do I just approach my local auto parts store and say ball joints for a 1967 Dart? I did a quick look of Mancini's page and it looks like roughly $100.00 or so per side? Is there another place I should be looking? Thanks so much for any help!

There's a special socket for the upper ball joint, you have to get the proper size for the ball joint...

I am able to borrow a friends set of tools for that and then see if there is anything else I need to know. Things look pretty straightforward.

If its any help i ordered mine from rockauto. Specifically the mevotech x's and they seem to be pretty good quality. Mancini has good stuff but it isnt cheap lol. Mine ran me about $75 total. As far as the process i dont know much about anything other than 73 + up but if for some reason your buddy doesnt have the socket i know o reilly's sells them.

There's a special socket for the upper ball joint, you have to get the proper size for the ball joint...

Most of the ball joint sockets are 3/4" drive... If you don't have a 3/4" drive, then get an adapter for a 1/2" drive to 3/4" drive...

then go to the hardware store and get 3 foot of metal pipe with a diameter big enough to fit on the end of your 1/2" wrench to help give more torque to break them loose (cheater bar)...

Soak them in penetrating oil, then put the cheater pipe on the end of the wrench handle to give you more torque/leverage to break the old ball joints loose...

Most of the ball joint sockets are 3/4" drive... If you don't have a 3/4" drive, then get an adapter for a 1/2" drive to 3/4" drive...

then go to the hardware store and get 3 foot of metal pipe with a diameter big enough to fit on the end of your 1/2" wrench to help give more torque to break them loose (cheater bar)...

Soak them in penetrating oil, then put the cheater pipe on the end of the wrench handle to give you more torque/leverage to break the old ball joints loose...
Okay cool, thanks for the tips krazykuda!

The wilwood kits are based off the drum brake spindle through 72. So it should be the small upper ball joint so I would order it based on a 67 with drum brakes and you should be good. We do have the ball joints if you need them as well.

Thanks
James From

How's the rest of the front end?
If the balls are bad better check while you are in there.
I would suggest getting the PST poly-graphite bushing while you are at it.

I've got 100k miles from experience.

A lot of parts store lend the sockets also, I know my local Auto Zone has them for lend.

A lot of parts store lend the sockets also, I know my local Auto Zone has them for lend.
Go to OReillys and get a GM Front 4 wheel Drive Nut socket. They are on the rack and work very well. At the end of installing 2 upper BJ's on my 73 Dart it was used up

FYI,
Marion

Go to OReillys and get a GM Front 4 wheel Drive Nut socket. They are on the rack and work very well. At the end of installing 2 upper BJ's on my 73 Dart it was used up

FYI,
Marion
Thats what i ended up using. That and a peice of gas pipe as a breaker bar lol. Mine actually held up pretty well

-
Back