Ball joint stud

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Trying to torque down the spindle to the lower controle arm. The nut got a few threads below the cotter pin hole and then the stud started to spin. Now I can't tighten or loosen the nut. I tried the seat the stud with a piece of wood and a hammer. Still spins.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Trying to torque down the spindle to the lower controle arm. The nut got a few threads below the cotter pin hole and then the stud started to spin. Now I can't tighten or loosen the nut. I tried the seat the stud with a piece of wood and a hammer. Still spins.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Take a thin bladed screwdriver and tap it between the the spindle and the bottom of the nut. This should pull the taper in tight enough for the nut to start working. Use a Craftsman brand in case you break it.

Try this. Take a floor jack and a piece of wood. Remove grease insert if so equipped. Place the wood on top of the floor jack and jack up the ball joint then tighten the nut.

Try this. Take a floor jack and a piece of wood. Remove grease insert if so equipped. Place the wood on top of the floor jack and jack up the ball joint then tighten the nut.

This ^^^^^^^

Experience shines through every time. Since the stud is a taper fit into the LCA, jacking up on the lower ball joint locks the taper in place and will allow you to tighten it right up.

Tried all your suggestion. None worked. So, I used a nut cracker and got the nut off. Chased the threads with a die. Bought another nut. It went right on.
Thanks for all your help.

-
Back