ballaster question

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
I am having some issues with my 70 dart /6. I bought the car as a winter ride in November and it is doing it's job for my short commute except that I have gone through 2 ballasters. 4 months ago replaced the one that came with the car and then today had to use the old spare that I carry around after the new one failed. wiring? the connections seem tight. this car is rough body wise and the ballaster probably has some exposure to the weather.

points ignition?

Just converted my 69 slant six to HEI style electronic ignition...works good and by passes the ballast resistor.

If it gets wet it could be failing -- these things run HOT and a sudden dash of rain might just break them

You might have a mismatched coil--and it is drawing too much current

Where did you get them? Nowadays, QUALITY seems to be a real issue with parts. I'd try a good name brand part, as opposed to some of the "big box" stores

For the record, I've never heard it called a "ballaster" It's a "ballast" or "ignition resistor" or "coil resistor."

Thanks: Ok now I know what is called, that is the first step; I picked up one from NAPA (echilin brand) today. The one that failed wasn't shaped the same and cost about $3 so you get what you pay for. I'll see how it goes before switching to electronic ignition-just want the car to make it to the end of the summer when 2 kids go back to school. Thanks again.

-
Back