Barb wire stretching...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Have decided to run at least 1, will probably be 2, barb wires above our field fence. After this 2 of the dogs will either end up in yet to be built pens...or put to sleep. Anyways...What's the easiest way to tension the wire? Will wrap/staple the end. Have a come-a-long. I used a pair of bolted together boards to tension the fence. Was a pain in the Arsenal but it worked. Is there some sort of contraption available for pulling barb wire? We have rr ties set in concrete every hundred or so feet.

if it were me i would put a few turnbuckles in there

1/4" X 4" Galvanized Eye & Eye Turnbuckle

now, im guessing there is a certain amount of slack per foot that needs to be taken out, for wich im sure there is a formula that i dont know

id find that out before purchasing the turnbuckles to ensure they will draw them far enough

They make a wire grip specifically for a come along. Any decent farm store should have or get you one. If you want I can post a picture???
Yote

If you are tying to a corner you can also use a farm pickup or 4 wheeler to stretch tight. Once you have a few steeples in you can tie it off. I've also used the wire grip on the come along as mentioned.

if it were me i would put a few turnbuckles in there

1/4" X 4" Galvanized Eye & Eye Turnbuckle

now, im guessing there is a certain amount of slack per foot that needs to be taken out, for wich im sure there is a formula that i dont know

id find that out before purchasing the turnbuckles to ensure they will draw them far enough
Hmmm....assuming you are suggesting wrapping the barb wire around the rectangular tie and pulling on itself? If so won't the barbs and wire just dig into the post?
They make a wire grip specifically for a come along. Any decent farm store should have or get you one. If you want I can post a picture???
Yote
Please do...
If you are tying to a corner you can also use a farm pickup or 4 wheeler to stretch tight. Once you have a few steeples in you can tie it off. I've also used the wire grip on the come along as mentioned.
Will be starting on 1 corner and running to another post about 100' away. Problem is I don't have access to all the posts with my tractor. I ran into this problem stretching the wire fence. Lot of trees in the way. Then there is the back...steep enough that my tractor can not climb the soft sand on end. The rest of the back is covered with trees...and has several areas where the rocks are a problem. When we put the field fence up I drove up to my neighbors for access. But the incline was enough that I needed to anchor the tractor to a truck....want to avoid leaving skid marks in my shorts again....lol...Thanks for the suggestion...Where possible I will be using the tractor...

We stretch up to a quarter mile at a time here, from brace post to brace post . At times to do that with new wire it will use all of the cable on a come along or a little more. If going across valleys or hills you can get it what seems right but cannot either pull it down or lift it enough to staple .
Yote

Only advice I have is don't use barbed wire. I hate the stuff with a passion and will never use it on my farm.

Hmmm....assuming you are suggesting wrapping the barb wire around the rectangular tie and pulling on itself? If so won't the barbs and wire just dig into the post?

the way they work is simple
one end of the tube has standard thread, the other end has reverse thread
you run both ends all the way out, and get the wire as tight as you can around the eyes

then you start wrenching on the tube, which draws in both ends and tightens it up

the main difference between this and a come-along is that you leave this in the fence

BUT if you got large stretches to go, this may not be the right solution

I had a fence stretcher that had two pulleys and ropes that you pulled by hand that worked really well. It had a chain on one end that wrapped around post and the other had a grip that clamped onto the wire. It was probably 50 years old but would be perfect for your terrain.

there is one on ebay now that is similar. It is called a double sheave pulley rope fence stretcher

wire.jpg
This is what my Grandfather used.

View attachment 1715011663

Last edited:
-
Back