bare minimum need to start hemi 5.7 out of car?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
I am waiting to get the the auto hotwire kit, computer and wire harness for the hemi 5.7.
Question is, what else will i need after i get this, to make the engine run. I wanna test it out of the car first.
I have a water pump on the engine (don't plan on running it long, just enough to make sure it fires).
What about fuel?
I know im gonna need to get a starter for it to.
not gonna hook the tranny up yet.

so just wire harness, computer, will a 5 gallon gas can and a pump work?, starter and battery?

It's efi so your going to need a way to get fuel pressure to 48psi. Prolly need a fuel cell with a high pressure fuel pump along with a regulator set to 48psi.

It's not like an old carb motor where 12-15psi to the carb will work.

Riddler

This will work for the fuel system and will be the cheapest:
Walbro GSL392 pump
Wix 33737 corvette filter/regulator

Did you ever get the motor to turn by hand?

It did turn by hand, i think it was just a little stuck. Ended up pulling the heads, spraying it, and it turns...just wanna get it to test fire. Even if if runs like crap for a few seconds, just so i know its not dead before I drop alotta cash in it.

Fuel pressure needs to be 58psi, NOT 48psi, o2 sesors, and what has already been mentioned.

Fuel pressure needs to be 58psi, NOT 48psi, o2 sesors, and what has already been mentioned.

It will run without 02 sensors just in closed loop. crank/cam signals, fuel injectors, coils, throttle is about all you truly need plugged in to make it fire. A stock truck pump stuck in a 5 gallon pale running a line to the fuel rail will work. The stock pumps have a built in fuel pressure regulator on the top (fuel outlet). So head to a salvage yard, drop a tank, grab the line and pump and head home.

FYI I think the pump from a 4.7 or even 318 should provide the right pressure range. If I remember right. I had compared my service manuals and my durango pump (4.7) is rated to provide the pressure I need for my 03 hemi.

Riddler, I'm sure it was a typo, dont sweat it.
Kevin, closed loop is with o2 sensor's, open loop is like when it's first started and running rich if memory serves correct.

It will run without 02 sensors just in closed loop. crank/cam signals, fuel injectors, coils, throttle is about all you truly need plugged in to make it fire. A stock truck pump stuck in a 5 gallon pale running a line to the fuel rail will work. The stock pumps have a built in fuel pressure regulator on the top (fuel outlet). So head to a salvage yard, drop a tank, grab the line and pump and head home.

FYI I think the pump from a 4.7 or even 318 should provide the right pressure range. If I remember right. I had compared my service manuals and my durango pump (4.7) is rated to provide the pressure I need for my 03 hemi.

This is what I did for testing. If you can, also get the pigtail that plugs into the pump for easier wiring.

If the engine has been sitting for a while pull the fuel rail and injectors apart and clean the fuel rail. When I first tried to fire mine the fuel rail had corroded some and debris instantly plugged the injectors so it wouldn't fire.

so will any dodge 318-360mag efi fuel pump work?

You need 58psi, so if they have it then yes.

I think they put out slightly less than 58. I was intrigued to find out with my service manual that the 03 hemi had a lower psi requirement then subsequent years though I do not have my book here at work so I can't truly answer.

-
Back