Barracuda about to turn 50! Tell your story here!

-

bamacuda

Reaction score
The Barracuda is about to turn 50! I guess it was about this time of year back in 1963 that the engineers at Plymouth were scratching their heads trying to figure out what Ford was doing with a "fastback" that was rumored to be coming. So I guess it is time for all of us true Mopar, Plymouth, A-body, and more specifically Barracuda fans to get ready to celebrate the 50 year old fish!

Tell your Barracuda story here!

ps I have one for sale in the mopar classifieds!

In 1992, I bought a 1969 barracuda in Loveland, Colo. I was visiting family and ran on to this car. There was car lot that had a 67 belvedere 2dr hrdtp that I was going to buy for 1200.00, but I ran onto this barracuda and the guy said he'd take 1150.00. I was young and had rode out to Colo with my older brother. I bought the cuda and ran into my cousin and she wanted to go back to Illinois with me. On the way home I got tired late at night, so I pulled into a rest area and folded down the back seat and slept in the back while she slept in the front bucket. I brought it back to the land of rust and sold this solid Colorado car. I put it in the paper for 2300.00 and the 1st person that looked at it bought it for 2100.00. I made money, but what a mistake I made on selling it.... :( I've owned lots of mopars, mainly Dusters and Darts, but that was my only Barracuda....

I bought my first cuda in 71 it was a 68 fast back had it for 3 years loved it put a 383 in it fast car. then had my challenger for 7 years.
Last year went out and found a 67 notch getting back to where I started playing with Mopars.
My son just gave up the ricer plan and now is a mopar fan working with him on finding a car for him.

I've always liked the early Barracudas. Back in '71 my parents were looking for a car for me to go to college in. I found a '65 Barracuda that had a 340 3 speed in it. My father did test drive it but said no way! So it was 33 years later and enjoying a bunch of other classic Plymouth's that I got to thinking it would be nice to find a 273 car with push buttons and that's when I found my soon to be '64 Barracuda! It was a good looking car with factory air. The interior and dash board had been redone and it had a rebuilt Commando 273 installed. The paint was faded a but it was still presentable so for 4K, which I thought a was steal, I brought it home. I did have to do a complete brake system rebuild but other then that it's been a very reliable car. I did get it painted and will soon have the original engine, which came with the car, back in it as I like my cars original. And it's the best documented car I've had with the original window sticker, and maintenance record book which is filled out for the first 3 years with the mileage! So I know who bought it and where it was bought from! I enjoy this car so much that I wanted another one so I thought a Formula S would be fun. I've been enjoying that car for 3 years now! I'll drive them anywhere! I drive them so much sometimes that my Road Runner gets jealous 'cause it sits so much!!!

I had had so many it's hard to talk about just one. But since it's a Birthday story I will talk about one of my 64's. I found it on a used car lot in Newport News VA. I paid $400 dollars in 76. It used so much oil driving it the 20 miles home that my buddy Andy in his 71 Charger had to get in front of me cause it was oiling his windshield and killing a million mosquitoes. It used 4 quarts of oil to get home. 273 2 barrel four speed car. I swapped my 225 Hyper Pak motor into it and did some drag racing with it. It went 14 flat with a 500 holley 2 barrel! That was the first time I gave thought to a fast slant six. I remember running a dude at Richmond Dragway who had a 66 Nova, 250 chevy six, 2 four barrels, headers, four speed, 4.5 gears, built pretty stout. Best he could do was a 15.30. I was running a 3.55 and my cast iron Hyper Pak headers with a sig erson 3/4 race cam! That was a cool car! So that was my 64! I have had a 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 and 74 Barracudas over the years. Many of those I had more than one. Barracudas are great cars.

My first car about 78 was a '67 barracuda vert. It was a 273 car but I put a 340 in it. it had a 150 speedo and decor package. Found it while walking home from visiting my friend who was working for bob banning dodge at the time. I picked the car up with a blown motor for $300. Yes, can I have another! First picture is an A, E, and B body in line!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 73
In 1994 I was looking in the paper and found a 69 barracuda for $1500.00, I called the number and an older gentelman answed, I went over to look at it that day. I wasn't really a big fan of A body barracudas, but it sounded like a deal. When I got there, I saw a b5 blue white top convert formula S 340 barracuda sitting under a lean to. I figured it must have been another car he owned, nope that was it, needless to say I jumped on it! I drove the car home, and ran it for about 2 months, never really liked the car with the top up, it rattled something fierce. After owning it for 2 months, I was at a gas station in Green Bay, and a guy and his wife stopped next to me in a 70 cutlass. The lady jumped out and went nut's over the car, said she had always wanted one, and had to have it. I told her it was not for sale, and the husband say's I'll give you $6500 for it today, and I said sold! Looking back I probably should have kept the car, but you know how that work's. My wife now loves 67-69 barracudas , and get's pissed every time I tell the story about mine!

When I was a VERY young child- about 4 years old, circa 1972...I distinctly remember the two most dramatically styled cars on our street.

One was a mid 50's Buick, and the other was a 67-69 Barracuda FB in light blue.

I clearly remember to this day, thinking what an interesting rear window it had, and I remember contemplating the fish emblems every time we passed by.

I think Mopar got it right in '68. I love the Dart GT and Barracuda Fastback Formula S.

I've had a '63 Dart 270 4 door bought new, '64 Dart 270 Wagon bought from a customer, '64 Dart GT bought from a customer and The '66 Dart GT Ordered & bought new which I still have.

Oh ya this is about 'Cuda's . Well it was love at first sight, A '68 black and black Formula S Fastback that I had to have ! Unfortunately it was in a wreaking yard and the right side was toast. But I still bought it, well a small part of it anyway.

Here ls the part I bought on my Van. Can you guess what part ?

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 61
-
Back