Barracuda deck panel surface rust suggestions

-

67notchb

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m starting to work on fixing some rust in the back window corners of my 67 notch back barracuda and I have this rust under the rear deck panel where the speakers go. It’s surface rust, not rusted through anywhere but if left untreated I’d imagine it wouldn’t take long it looks like it was caused by condensation. Any suggestions how to slow/stop the rust without replacing it? Thanks everyone for your time and help and suggestions.

ABEBD540-FF0B-4725-A0DC-CD1ABA9B6026.jpeg

0C76354F-244C-47EC-B3B4-F0C249C71B13.jpeg

0086895C-DA74-44BB-9B81-483143F994CB.jpeg

That's a good bit more than surface rust.

What would you call it? Maybe so but it’s solid and could be worse(and better). What is your suggestion as to treating rust in this state in a place?

What would you call it? Maybe so but it’s solid and could be worse(and better). What is your suggestion as to treating rust in this state in a place?
If it was mine, I would make preparations to blast it with blasting media. Those worst places will be pitted badly and you'll have to decide how to deal with that.

What is the end game plan? Exterior finish. What do the exterior seams look like?

Mine wasn't quite that bad, but I just got done treating the same area in my 66 Dart a couple months a ago. I won't lie, it was a total pain in the ***. It helps to pull the deck lid, hinge arms, and torsion springs. After I did that, I hit what I could reach with small wire wheels, wire brushes, rolocs, scotchbrite, etc.

It took a ton of elbow grease but between all those, I was able to basically get most of it down to fresh metal. Then I hit it with Phosphoric acid to neutralize what little rust was left, followed by fresh water on a sponge to rinse off the acid. After that, I sprayed everything down with Zero Rust paint. It was some effort, but it turned out great.

Here's a photo of what I started with. I can get an "after" photo tomorrow if you'd like.
1667274919980.png

It's too bad that when the factory dipped the cars in primer they did not rotate the car 360 deg to coat every hidden panel.

That rust at least must be scraped/wire brushed to remove any loose rust. Bead blasting would be best as it does a more complete job. Then the remainder should be coated/sealed with a product like POR-15. This will kill/seal the rust from coming back. Later you can paint it.

-
Back