barracuda, formular-s means

-

uk-barracuda

Reaction score
ive been told that my barracuda is formular s. but what does formular s mean, is it disk brakes at front and better rear suspension. ???

Little better suspension and a bit hotter engine. That's about 98% of it.

Post a partial Vin or the fender tag info and we may be able to tell you exactly what you have.

Little better suspension and a bit hotter engine. That's about 98% of it.

Post a partial Vin or the fender tag info and we may be able to tell you exactly what you have.

Post your vin and change the last 6 numbers to all 0s and we can tell what your car is. The first 7 digits are the generic digits used on any car are used to identify the engine, class, year and etc. With the 6 numbers changed to 0s no one can screw with your actual information.

The fender tag reveals more information but again I would block off those same numbers before I posted it.

ive just found abit of paper, chrysler corporation car production broadcast, but vin is, BH23D72 000000 ive found abit of info on it already but just wondering if anybody new if this was built for the uk market or a aussie import. i got told what they did on most of them was, when they brought them to uk they converted them to rhd and put a chain accross for steering. but mine looks like its always been rhd

ive been on allpar which i found the 1st 7 digit numbers out, d means 273 2bbl or 4bbl. but cant find the bit i went on. could someone tell me if they made these for uk market or for the aussie market ??

Your fender tag should have an export code. Do you have the fender tag.

If your car is a US spec car that was shipped over later then it is not a Formula S (273 2BBL is not a Formula S in the US)

I do not know if the specs were the same for cars built for export.

VIN BH23D72000000 decodes as follows:
Description --------Interpretation -----------Code
Model: ------------Plymouth Barracuda ------B
Price Class: -------High ---------------------H
Body Type: -------2 door hardtop -----------23
Engine: -----------273ci V8 2bbl (LA motor)--D
Year: -------------1967 --------------------7
Assembly Plant: ---Hamtramck, MI -----------2
Sequence Number:-000000 ------------------000000

ive been told that my barracuda is formular s. but what does formular s mean, is it disk brakes at front and better rear suspension. ???

The Formula S package is the H. D. suspension: torsion bars, rear springs, sway bar, shocks, redlines, 5.5" J rims, and the "medallions."
In 67 only the BBs came with dual exhaust, it was not part of the Formula S package- neither was the BB.
68 added the 340 or 383 to the Formula S package and dual exhaust.

If you ordered a 67 and a BB you had to order the Formula S package, and you had to order disc brakes- this leads some to believe that the Formula S had to come with disc, when it is the engine that is dictating the brakes.
In 68 it changed and disc brakes were optional on all models.

If you want to know everything about your car send $45 to Chrysler:
http://www.chryslerheritage.com/newsroom.do?id=390&mid=135

If you need help with the build card they send you, let me know- and let us know anyway, we would like to hear more about the history of your car.

The broadcast sheet you found has a lot of info on it as well, so post pics of it and the fender tag and we can help.

FYI: the IBM build card was used to make the fender tag and the broadcast sheet- so some of the info on it is more accurate. The build cards were filed away at Chrysler, the fender tags were screwed to the cars, and the broadcast sheet was used to "explode the order" within the factory. Each area got a broadcast sheet to let them know what the car needed, and some areas left them in the cars as part of their process- but it is not so uncommon to find a sheet for a different car.

Probably more than you asked.

Matthon,
Excellent information. I have a related question... What do the punched out letters on the Fender Tag mean? I have seen R among other letters. Also, sometimes there is a number stamped into the tag, I have seen a 15 embossed from the back.
Thanks.

Matthon,
Excellent information. I have a related question... What do the punched out letters on the Fender Tag mean? I have seen R among other letters. Also, sometimes there is a number stamped into the tag, I have seen a 15 embossed from the back.
Thanks.

Those (from what I have been told) are assembly line inspection stamps and nothing to do with the car or its options.

Agreed. Mine has a 12 stamped on the right side, you have to flip it sideways to read it. I am told it is a inspector's or data tag machine operator's stamp. I guess someone was verifying the tags, or the car by using the tag.

-
Back