Barracuda Grill Question

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I bought a '64/'65 Barracuda grill to install on my Valiant and it has one of the attachment ears broken off. I have the piece that is broken off. It appears to be made from pot-metal type stuff. I don't think mig welder will work to reattach piece. Does anyone know if this repairable, and how to go about it? Thanks Mike

Somebody makes a "welding rod" that is made for repairing pot metal & can be used with a propane torch. I don't know where to buy it. I bought some about 15 years ago from a guy who was demonstrating it at a "Steam Engine & Tractor" show. He was even using it to fix holes in aluminum beer cans. It works pretty well if you can find it.

'64 Cuda, that sounds great. I'll see if I can find them at some welding supplies, etc.. By the way, since you have a '64 Cuda, would you say the center section of grill was made from pot-metal? Mike

'64 Cuda, that sounds great. I'll see if I can find them at some welding supplies, etc.. By the way, since you have a '64 Cuda, would you say the center section of grill was made from pot-metal? Mike

Yeah, I'd call it pot metal, white metal, or zinc. Whatever it is, I think this rod would probably work on it. I don't know if you'll be able to find it at a welding supply place. I've never looked for it there. I've seen it a few times but it was always at a swap meet, craft show, or something similar. You might try looking on line. Wouldn't surprise me if you can find it on EBay. You might try looking at a farm supply store. I'm lucky in that I bought a brand new grill for my car sometime in the early 80's & still have it in the box, patiently waiting to be installed on my car. One of these days.....

:burnout:

Yea, that looks like the right stuff. Only problem is, you have to buy a minimum of 34 rods, at $65 plus shipping, with these guys. I need one maybe two rods. Mike

Maybe we could split the order up between us. I don't think they would cost that much to ship. I would take 5 of them.

Chuck

i may have some of those rods. ill check and let you know later 2nite.

$65 plus shipping! When I bought mine it semes like it was fifteen or twenty bucks (maybe more) for maybe 10 or 12 rods. It was a lot back then so a friend & I split them. Seems like they have you by the short hairs no matter what.

-
Back