Barracuda Interior Panel Question

-

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea on how to fix this drivers side rear interior panel in my 67 fastback Barracuda? I’m thinking remove it from the car and try to adhere the vinyl back to the cardboard backing with some 3M spray glue. Any other ideas?

I'm also not even clear on how these come out and get reinstalled. Right now, it seems like if I take out the window crank the panel will just fall off. Thanks in advance.

F4A57216-CEC6-4DFB-8AE5-6D5EE63F309A.jpeg

10D1914C-25B8-4FD3-AA27-159818962F85.jpeg

Last edited:
Should have sheet plastic behind the cardboard to keep moisture off the card board.

The side panel is supposed to have clips (not sure correct term) along sides and bottom so that the panel snaps into place and held firm.

Last edited:
A. Remove panels
B. Fix panels (glue vinyl back to the board)
C. Put the proper clips on the back of the panel.
D. Install, top of the panel should tuck into the trim.
IMG_3080.jpg

Alan

Remove the crank, use a putty knife (or panel removal tool) slipped behind the panel to feel for the clips and lever them off, starting at the bottom — the top edge of the panel is tucked into the slot of the horizontal stainless trim piece at the top. When installing, tuck the top in first, then lower into place, starting the clips into the holes from the top down.

You guys are awesome. I'm embarrassed to say that panel has been hanging like that since 2009... Just always had bigger fish to fry on the car. I'll give it a shot and post pics when done.

Mine was in a much worse off condition than that so it took some 3m spray glue, a heat gun, some binder clips and a piece of sheetmetal.

My vinyl wouldn't reach to the end of the board so I heated it up slowly and stretched it until it was pliable enough to reach. Then I sprayed the glue underneath and while adding a little heat here and there, I stretched the vinyl to the edge of the board and then used binder clips to hold it to the edge. The vinyl has a little channel in it that you can place the binder clip into so it doesn't put small dents in the vinyl. This channel also tucks underneath the chrome trim piece so it can't be seen anyway. Once it was stretched and looking straight enough, I took a piece of sheet metal and placed it on top of the panel and placed a few heavy objects on it to keep the vinyl held down to the board evenly with the glue. The next day I took it all apart and it stayed in place nice and flat.

Now my issue is that one of the clips on the back pulled through the board and will no longer hold on. Does anyone know a way of repairing this issue in a way that lasts?

You can look at how to restore Mopar window assembly on YouTube. I just watched it last night

Glue and clamp. One other thing as for installing the panel....I glued velcro on both the panel and the metal and used that for attaching panel. Much better than those POS clips.
You guys are awesome. I'm embarrassed to say that panel has been hanging like that since 2009... Just always had bigger fish to fry on the car. I'll give it a shot and post pics when done.

My boards were really torn up so I did the proper restoration thing. Put some self tappers in them and they work great LOL. Looks fine, more easily removable.

-
Back