Barracuda tire Question

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if you can run BFGoodrich Tires size 215/65r15 on steel cop car rims 15x7 on a 67 barracuda? This is going on my 67 barracuda with 4.5 inch bolt pattern and disc brakes??????

You should be OK.... that tire's diameter is 26". I'm running 28" on my cuda.

Your wheel is 15x7 mine is 15x8 BUT I have 4.5" backspacing. I believe your wheel would have less backspacing so again you'll be OK with that also.

I had to offset my springs to that wheel to get wheel and tire combo to fit.

I am running 275/60R15 s on the rear with bbody rearend. I think the front going to be an alignment issue.

I got the car inspected and aligned today. Put new 215/65R15 on the front with 15x7 cop car steel rims on dart 73-76 front disc brakes. Tires rub the front fender lip what gives????

I got the car inspected and aligned today. Put new 215/65R15 on the front with 15x7 cop car steel rims on dart 73-76 front disc brakes. Tires rub the front fender lip what gives????

I think the above posters were thinking you were asking about the rear.

The closer you get to a 26" (for example your 215-65-15) you run the risk of hitting the fender.

Sorry I am just now seeing this post or I would have told you sooner. Step down to a 215-60-15.

i just went threw the same thing i have 215/60/15 on mine and they still rub a tiny bit depends on how high or low you make the car too high tires hit to low headers hit you have to find a happy medium or go with
205/60 /15 and you will have no trouble at all

How does 215/60/15's fit for some and not for others? There are some guys running 215/65/15's on the front on this site. I don't understand how some tire sizes fit some cars and not others.Why are johnnycudas tires rubbing the front fender and not anyone else. I know it could be an alignment issue/after market rims on some but I just had my car aligned.

i just went threw the same thing i have 215/60/15 on mine and they still rub a tiny bit depends on how high or low you make the car too high tires hit to low headers hit you have to find a happy medium or go with
205/60 /15 and you will have no trouble at all

215-60-15s are shorter than stock. If they are rubbing it is a suspension, wheel spacing, or ride height issue.

Largest was an E70-14 (25.7" Tall)

A 215-60-15 is about 25.2" tall but a bit wider. I ran 215-60-15s (15x6 wheel) on the front of mine with no issues before switching back to E70-14s.

Go here to compare tires,wheels,backspacing... etc.

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp (this a excellent site to keep on hand for all FABO members.)

The 215/65/15 is 26" tall....

The 215/60/15 is 25.2" tall.... with that little amount I would adjust up the front end to clear. I would only do this if a)the front is down more than the rear or b) you are not allowed to return them.

I worked in a tire shop for over 3 years.... they shouldn't have installed those tires because of fitment issues. Most of the time the consumer is not knowledgeable enough (some don't even know what a lug nut is) to know what will fit properly and what will not. So the tire shop, installer, front end alignment guy should have not let the car go out the door like that.

I have the skinny tires on the front of my cuda which are Mickey Thompson 26" x 3.5" BUT they are smaller far as width.

How does 215/60/15's fit for some and not for others? There are some guys running 215/65/15's on the front on this site. I don't understand how some tire sizes fit some cars and not others.Why are johnnycudas tires rubbing the front fender and not anyone else. I know it could be an alignment issue/after market rims on some but I just had my car aligned.

Again... Suspension, wheel spacing, ride height, alignment. The guys that run that size tire have things set right.

But... Some cars are just different... (from what I have seen when this issue comes up).

I am frustrated as hell so I am calling it quits for tonight. I will try to figure a new size tomorrow.Probably the 215/60/15's.Thanks for the help I will post tomorrow and hopefully some pics.

I am frustrated as hell so I am calling it quits for tonight. I will try to figure a new size tomorrow.Probably the 215/60/15's.Thanks for the help I will post tomorrow and hopefully some pics.
Goodluck let us know how you make out.
sorry to say mine still hit it could possibly be the offset on my front cragar's?
If i lower the car they seem to clear, but then it;s too low for the headers will hit over a little bump, when i raise it the tires seem to hit more because the shape of the fenders.
i am gonna eventaully get a skinnier tire. the bfg 215/60/15 seems to wide

mullinax95,

Thanks for suggesting wheelsmaster's url. That site makes it so much easier to compare tire sizes.

Dude...you the man! :cheers:

I have 225/60-15's on my 69 B'cuda. No problems at all. 15x7 Crager,I forgot the BS,but a standard wheel from Summit(4,25"?)

I put 215/60/15 on today and they still rub the lower lip of wheelwell. I think because I put disc brakes on it would bring the wheel out more correct. So between that and wider tire it will always hit, or should I adjust the torsion bar height.

It is sounding like you had 2 problems...

A tire that was to tall and a wheel that has the wrong back space.

Just curious... What is the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender lip directly above it?

The wheel is stock steel cop car rim with no back space. I switched from drum to disc in the front. Will the rotor stick out more the old drum? I think it probably would. I did finally go under the car and check the torsion bar adjusting bolts. The driver side which is rubbing more than the passenger side adjusting bolt was loose. So much for the alignment shop. Top of tire to fender lip is 2"1/4 on driver side and 3" on passenger side. Not sure if that answers your question. Or do you want me to measure from center of rim to fender lip. Question does the tip of torsion bar adjusting bolt actually thread into that lever or just slide up inside. If its threaded I might have other issues.

thanks...

The reason I ask is because I run a 25.7" (E70-14s) tall tire on stock steel wheels.

The distance from wheel center to upper fender lip is 13.5" both sides.

The tire is 1.5" from the front fender lip at it's closest point (with the wheels pointed straight ahead).

I just went and checked the clearance when turning on mine and it gets damn close too.

-
Back