Barracuda/Valiant motor question.

-

55Redneck

Reaction score
The biggest baddest motor you could get in a 65 Cuda was a 273 yet in 1968 my Mom bought a 65 Valiant with a 318 4 brl and it was a pretty quick little car for a stocker. The kid she sold it to took me for a ride in it before he wrapped it around a pole a couple weeks later and that little car smoked the tire/s for a long ways before it hooked. Any reason they didn't offer the 318 in an early Cuda, yet they did on the Valiant or am I just mistaken on this?

You are correct in that the largest small block you could get in 65 was the 273 as the LA318 didn't show up till 67. There was a 318 in 65; however, it was the poly 318 and just wouldn't easily fit within the narrow confines of the early A engine compartment.

OK, I'm learning stuff here but isn't the underhood dimensions of the Cuda and the Valiant the same in 65 so how would that make any difference?

are you sure it was a 318. the only 318 available was the poly and like dartman said a poly wouldnt fit in a valiant/barracuda. i have always been told the only engine available was the slant six and 273. oh, i just re read it. i thought she bought it new. maybe someone swaped a 318 from a 67 or 68 into the 65 valiant before she bought it. the reason the barracuda didnt have it was because that 318 didnt exist yet.

I guess it must have been a 273 then, but I remember her saying many a time that it was a 318 4 brl. Probably just a line from the salesman.

Thanks for the replies guys.

There was no 4-barrel 318 until the later 1970s.

The only 318 available through '66 was the poly. In '67 all 318s in the states were small block. the poly was still available in Canada in '67. I used to have a '60 Dart with a poly 318 and a 2 spd powerflyte. That poly could really get that monster of a car down the road. That was a GREAT engine!

Engine.jpg

-
Back