Barrier Paper

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
Hello again all,

I'm in the process of replacing my sail panels. Upon removing the old ones I noted only metal. Should there be barrier paper or something behind the sail panels?

Thx again

should be a sheet of plastic between the door frame(metal) & door panel (cloth).
at least every panel I have removed had this , moisture control would be my guess ,Lawrence

I have a 65 Barracuda and yes they also had a vapor barrier behind the rear sail panels. In the Barracuda VERY important. I have intentionally left it in the rain a few times to find the leaks and I have to say a pretty fair amount hits the plastic behind the sail panels. I have had to adapt it a little because I have some wires coming out of mine.

I replaced mine with 3mil Plastic Drop Cloth. It is thick enough to handle the job it is made from the right plastic that will last through the heat and cold and it is cheap. I used the panels as a guide to cut out the plastic. And laugh if you like but I used clear caulk as a sealant. Honestly it does not need to be 100% water proof at least in the Barracuda because the water goes to the bottom and is dripped out of weep holes. You do need to make sure ALL water gets directed to the bottom opening and make sure the space between the vehicle panel and interior wall is completely clean.

In my '72 Duster and '75 Duster parts car there was no plastic or anything behind the sail panels.
FWIW
C

It is worth a lot and I appreciate the feedback. I don't think it will harm anything to add the plastic/barrier paper.

Thanks again.

The plastic was put on the doors and under the side windows to keep any water that hit the glass and ran down thru the 'cats whiskers' off the back of the interior trim panels.

-
Back