base coat clear coat wet sand, and now what?

-
I decided to just go ahead and try some light cutting and polishing. You can definitely see areas that should have been sanded flatter ; but I am happy I did not remove enough clear to burn into the paint. In fact, I do have some decent reflection. Could it be better? Oh yeah; but I figured I would at least try it, and repaint later, if I need to. I have a question about the clear that is still orange peeled - if and when I add additional coats, will those areas just "fill-in" with paint, and adhere ok? Or, is there more I need to do, besides sand down to 600 grit? I probably will re-coat after a while, but for now, I think it will suffice.

I have always called them peaks and valleys. If you don't sand it flat all you do is add another mountain to another mountain. Your orange peel becomes worse. Flat sand it until it is gone, scuff the edges with a grey pad and re-clear it. If you cut through the clear in any spots and disturb the metallic flakes you will need to blend some base in those area's and then clear again. Also you will find buffing a flat sanded area goes quicker than any area with some orange peel left. The compound and buffing pad needs to get down into those low spots as well and takes longer.

Some progress, and a lot better than it was. I am going to leave it for now, probably do some assembly; and when I grow tired of what it looks like, sand and re-shoot the clear, as per some of the great advice I got here.
IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

-
Back