Basic 727 stuff

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
What is the stock stall speed for a 360/727 out of a car?

Not counting the converter how much fluid will it take to fill it with a stock pan?

What are the measurements for the 2 tailshafts (short and long).

What are the stock shift points, 1-2 = 10-15 mph, 2-3 = 25-30 mph ?

Can you swap the tailshaft from a short shaft to a long shaft with the tranny still in the car?

I am going to go look at a 727 that was rebuilt a year ago but has been sitting on the shelf ever since with no fluid and never ran. Would you guys see any possable problems with it sitting dry for that long, would I be able to fill it and drive the piss out of it. The guy only wants $300 o.b.o.

360scamp said:
What is the stock stall speed for a 360/727 out of a car?
This can vary with application. Usually from 1400-1800 rpm.

Not counting the converter how much fluid will it take to fill it with a stock pan?
approx. 5 qts.

What are the measurements for the 2 tailshafts (short and long).
I have heard a couple of guys say they have seen 2 different tailshaft lengths but I have only ever seen one length on the 727 car transmission. The only other lengths used I've seen was used in RV or 4wd applications.

What are the stock shift points, 1-2 = 10-15 mph, 2-3 = 25-30 mph ?
Shift points vary tremendously due to adjustment of the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown linkage). When adjusted properly it is around 5-8 mph going into 2nd, then 10-15 mph going into 3rd under light throttle.

Can you swap the tailshaft from a short shaft to a long shaft with the tranny still in the car?
No. The trans. has to be completely disassembled to remove the tailshaft.

As far as the one your going to look at, a year is not bad to sit at all. Should be fine. Make sure he covered it up good to keep dirt and dust out.

-
Back