basic am radio in '70 Duster

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
Is it easy to fix the tuner knob? I can turn the knob but the red dial will not sweep left or right to find stations. I was lucky that the preset button to the far right was set to a station on tht side and the dial was full left. I was able to ,very carefully, use the preset button to slowly sweep across and set a few more stations on the presets. I'd like for it, tuner knob, to work as intended. Any advice or help appreciated. It is a good working radio otherwise and I just replaced the speaker.....sounds good for what it is. thxs again!

There's a pulley system and a sort of string that moves the whole mechanism inside. Pull the cover off the radio and you'll see it. Most often there's parts inside that are sticking due to dust, dirt, etc. I use brake cleaner to clean the moving parts. And I use a little tuner / electrical contact cleaner to clean just the insides of the potentiometers that are turned by the knobs.

Thanks for the info/advice.....it gives me a little more confidence about cracking open the case.

-
Back