Battery cutoff switch

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
I am doing some wiring on a friends race truck. He said he needs TWO battery cut off switches, one in the back by the battery, one in the drivers compartment, to meet rules requirements.

Having never installed a cutoff before, does this require TWO switches, or is there a switch that can be mounted at the back, and remotely controlled from the drivers area?

I was under the impression that the switch had to be mounted as close to the battery as possible. But does it actually just need to cut power to the entire car?

If he needs I have switches with 4 terminals for sale . 1 set of ter for batt other for msd box or alt etc. I have 2 diff amp ratings both new only used for mock up .

Will they allow the system to be controlled by an electic solenoid? Or does it have to be a mechanical switch?

Basically is this for drag racing or another form of racing?

GTX / BJS - I'm not sure what sactioning body it is, but it is for drag racing.

I'll check to see if they allow a solenoid. I believe it's a diesel-only racing series, so I have no idea how the rules are written.

It's a '95 Ram 1500 with a custom 12v Cummins. I'm sworn to secrecy on the specs:lol: but it runs solid 10s in the quarter mile.

68, It has to be mounted somewhere on the back of the car that is quickly accesible. It has to be in plain veiw. Or at least pointed out to where it is.

If it is for drag racing and it has to pass NHRA tech. it has to be a mechanical switch located at the back of the vehicle. Companies that build dragsters have kits that use a cable that will allow you to remote kill the switch. That may be something for you to look at. S&W and Spitzer and places like that should be able to help you with this.

-
Back