Battery drain

-

cudadriver

Reaction score
Please help. When I remove the negative battery cable and put a meter from the negative battery cable to the negative battery post I get a reading of battery voltage. The alternator field and output connections are disconnected. I've taken the fuses out one by one and still get the same reading on the meter. I've installed an nos voltage regulator and another starter relay. One evening my wife and I were out for a cruise and I had the park lights on. We noticed a burning smell and the ammeter needle was at full charge, at the extreme rignt of the guage. I shut off the lights and the ammeter soon centered again. I can't find any burnt wires. and that guage and smell problem hasn't returned. I would appreciate any help as I've had the car since it was new and don't want to make an ash of myself and the car. Thanks. Cudadriver

I would question the regulator! Also do you have a clock in the car? I would not trust anything the ammeter says. They can go bad too. I would have the charging system tested on the car while running. That will tell you more than anything else.

My tack and amp meter went crazy and all it was is the wire that go's to the ground post and to the body ground and man it was very hot.
I seen that it was spliced and wire nutted and the wire was loose in the wire nut! It melted the wire at the splice. So I replaced it with a 14 ga wire with no splices . 318 Dakota 1991.

-
Back