Battery Relocation

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
How much of a difference will I notice if I relocate my battery to the trunk of my 68 notchback? I just completed my 408 build with aluminum eddy's, also replacing wiring harness and power to manual(Flaming River) steering box before reinstalling the engine. Does it help that much, or is it just for all out drag cars as mine is a street/strip car.
Thanks a Bunch!!

For me it just really opens up the engine compartment.Easier to work on and the batt. in trunk reminds me so much of real muscle car era.Imo Kevin.

If you do move it to the trunk most drag strips will require an outside battery disconnect switch before they will let you run, well at least NHRA will require it.

Chuck

Putting the battery in the trunk really helps the cool factor.
I got the whole set up from Summit racing. I just went
with 3/8 rod for the hold down. Jam nutted the whole thing
to the floor. And a nice strap of 1/8 flat on top of the
battery. The tech inspector liked it.

your also moving 30+ lbs to the rea of the car and taking that same amount from the front. Helps weight distribution. Not a super huge difference though.

I did the relocation not to long ago. It was about the first thing I did to my new ride. It just looks so much better under the hood now. I like the Pro street look myself and I'm working on it slowly.

A good first step to moving 'unwanted' weight to the rear. Every bit helps. Get past the 'disconnect thing' and mount your switch outside. No biggie. Make sure the battery is tied down with 3/8 hold downs.

Also make sure you have a good ground heavy ground to chassis and a good ground from the engine to chassis as well. Really watch the routing of the pos cable and make sure it is not in a position to melt, rub through etc. Grommet and protect everything.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers

Another tip:put it on the passanger side.If you have a peg leg the passanger side is the drive side,helps traction.Plus it helps out with weight distribution when you are in the car.

Depending on what you have, your battery will weigh about 45 pounds. On the passenger side is where you want to put it. Yes it is beneficial to do it, it helps weight transfer (every little bit). You are buying or have mag wheels, right. You buy them for the same reasons, they are lighter and they look cool, and all other things being equal - they help you go faster (every little bit)
Daryl

-
Back