battery switch location

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I'm relocating the battery to the trunk and I'm just wondering where everyone is mounting the battery disconnect switch at. It's on a 72 dart thanks guys and a pic would be awesome. Only place I can see fit is the back side of quarter panel next to trunk lid

Here's mine. -- Not legal for racing. -- When I raced a 68 Dart, I had it on a bracket below the rear bumper.

Attachments

• DSCN1338 (2).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Disconnect switch.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 188
This is a push and pull kit to fit your switch from Moroso It comes wth everything . I cut the rod to the lenght I needed. The switch should be where someone can kill the power from outside the car To kill fuel, engine, and battery.

Attachments

• spoiler pics 802.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN1695.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 181
  • spoiler pics 803.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN1697.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN1694.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 197
^^If you make a modification to the above, that is a sleeve and a push rod you can turn that into a simple anti theft switch. "They" will have to break into the trunk to get power on

I don't have mine on yet. I just plan on biting the bullet and drilling a small hole up under the tail light chrome, hope to make it as inconspicuous as possible.

If you went "to enough" work you could run the rod under the bumper, and up through the trunk at an angle. That makes a long rod. NHRA wants it "push off" not pull.

Direct from the rule book.

8:4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class
Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must
be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily
accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be
connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must
stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The off
position must be clearly indicated with the word “OFF.” If switch is
“push/pull” type, “push” must be the action for shutting off the
electrical system, “pull” to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to
activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or
keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be
located behind rear wheels on rear-engine dragsters.

Here's mine. -- Not legal for racing. -- When I raced a 68 Dart, I had it on a bracket below the rear bumper.

Certainly not legal for racin, but it's an ingenious idea for a street car. Nice work.

Certainly not legal for racin, but it's an ingenious idea for a street car. Nice work.

I don`t understand why a street car must have them just because the battery is in the trunk. the fast cars that have them in the stock location cant be killed from any kind of external switch. I don`t really want one. I only run sealed batteries in the trunk too. just thinkin out loud .

On the 70-72 Darts I have seen them on the rear quarter panel extension, in the tail light reverse light, and the lower valiance under the bumper.If the car is not using a licence plate you can use that space too in the dead center of the rear bumper.

-
Back