BB 727 Trans help please

-

cgray521

Reaction score
I finally go the 727 for the 440 Valiant build. Its a rebuilt with about 50 miles on it out of a Dodge van. Got a great deal on it from a friend but when I picked it up I noticed the 2-wire lead coming out of it and don't know what that's for. Also noted that it had 2 shift arms. One of them feels like it is somewhat spring-loaded. (top one) Why would it have 2? What are the wires for? These are likely simple stupid questions for the right person, but, uh, I ain't him...lol. Took pics of the numbers, the converter, and the area in question. Any help and/or advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance friends.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 146
Look at you pic. It has 3 wires, back-up and neutral safety. The top arm is throtle linkage. Bottom is shift linkage. Both are required.

would that be similar to a TV cable or kickdown? The old 904 I had didn't have it...If I wanted to shift down I just did it manually. Never thought about Neutral safety switch I guess. Everything else I ever had activated the back-up lights by shifter position-type switch.

You might have the wrong convertor for your motor,as this one is for a cast crankshaft,you could just drill and remove the weight and spot weld any bad spots on the convertor from the drilling.mrmopartech

would that be similar to a TV cable or kickdown? .

Basically the same thing, and it must be connected of you have a stock valvebody.
On your 727 the reverse lights and neutral safety switch are both operated by that one switch.
For some reason I can't find the pinout of the switch right now, but I'm sure someone remembers without having to look it up.

It seems like I remember the two outer pins are for backup lights and the center pin is for neutral safety.

Make sure the converter seats in TWO clicks before you install it, otherwise your gonna be learning how to rebuild one real quick-like.

Ya if it's a switch for two things then a power or ground (either) would have to be the third wire. I guess some testing is in order then, should not be too hard to figure that out in that case. And MRMOPARTECH the motor is a '78 with cast crank so should be ok. I have not even tried to mate trans to motor yet, as my 'cherry-picker' seems to have lost a seal or something. Only wants to work half the time, then drop whenever it wants to..haha, not real safe.

Trailbeast is right about the switch pinout. The middle pin wire goes up to the starter relay to provide a ground to it when the trans. is in neutral or park. When it's in any motion gear no ground to the starter relay won't let it start.

The outer wires are for the backup lights. They wire just like any other 2 wire switch does. Some early models had a switch on the shifter. Generally anything newer than 68 has no switch on the shifter. It's all done at the transmission switch.

Trailbeast is right about the switch pinout. The middle pin wire goes up to the starter relay to provide a ground to it when the trans. is in neutral or park. When it's in any motion gear no ground to the starter relay won't let it start.

The outer wires are for the backup lights. They wire just like any other 2 wire switch does. Some early models had a switch on the shifter. Generally anything newer than 68 has no switch on the shifter. It's all done at the transmission switch.

Thanks for verifying that Tracy.

-
Back