BB clutch removal

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey i was wondering what kind of job it was to change the clutch in a 68 cuda 383. i am debating to leave the engine in or pull it. thanks

Not a bad time to pull the motor if you want to clean, replace any leaking gaskets & repaint. About the only thing left would be the motor mounts & cooling system from just pulling the trans & bellhousing.

the problem is putting the tranny back up. without perfect disc alignment and a very stable trans jack it tends to damage the clutch disc. I did a b-body clutch like that, if it doesnt go in right away the weight of the transmission on the disc splines is damaging. Get help and have someone in the front seat..when you pull your pilot shaft out to stab it in...it will go almost all the way, then have them gently push the clutch pedal an inch or so back and forth. this will allow the disc to line up as you shake and cuss shoving at the thing. I've done this a few times with the 833 on my chest. No fun. I recommend pulling the engine. good time to do a clean up of everything and other repairs/upgrades.

-
Back