BB driver mount

-

matthon

Reaction score
The pic below is not my engine, mine does have the bosses on the front and the tab for the motor mount, circled, but it does not have the tab on the right, in the square.
Now I know if you want to put a BB in an A body, you need the bosses, and a friend of mine put one in his Dart - but it has the tab in the square and fits fine. He was also able to put a normal dipstick in as it bolts to that tab.
He and I both agree the tab was not cast into the block, and it was not cut off, so lets go with the assumption that we know what we are talking about, lol.
I want to pull the original engine and do a stroker 383 sometime in the future.

My question is: were the BBs with the bosses, and possibly the one tab not there, specific to certain years and/or body types?

db_20050819__3_3.jpg

The pic below is not my engine, mine does have the bosses on the front and the tab for the motor mount, circled, but it does not have the tab on the right, in the square.
Now I know if you want to put a BB in an A body, you need the bosses, and a friend of mine put one in his Dart - but it has the tab in the square and fits fine. He was also able to put a normal dipstick in as it bolts to that tab.
He and I both agree the tab was not cast into the block, and it was not cut off, so lets go with the assumption that we know what we are talking about, lol.
I want to pull the original engine and do a stroker 383 sometime in the future.

My question is: were the BBs with the bosses, and possibly the one tab not there, specific to certain years and/or body types?

Are you going to be putting the block in a car that needs that rear tab ? if not do not sweat it .

It was cast on all blocks , for A body use the tab was machined off so it would clear in an A body that had power steering. They machined them off all slated to go into A bodies whether they had power steering or not.

That being said that one has a power steering pump and A body specific parts , but it's got exh gaskets which were not factory. But the ear could stay on the block as it just barely clears the power steering pump , if the mount broke the engine would end up hitting the box which is why I assume the factory milled it off .

-
Back