bb into a truck with od

-

chargers777

Reaction score
I know this isnt an a body quesyion but there seems to be a lot of knowledgable people here.Has anyone ever put a bb in place of a slant 6 1980 truck.what did you changeand what bell did you use and what flywheel.Do the slant 6 trucks use a 122 tooth flywheel.what about the z bar how could I make that work?Thanks for any help.

It makes no difference what the slant used for a flywheel. A B / RB into anything in place of a slant will require a different bell and flywheel.

There is no factory bell housing to mate an OD trans to a big block. Lakewood makes a bell that will work but its a little spendy, or you will have to have the input bearing retainer machined to fit a big block bell.

There is no factory bell housing to mate an OD trans to a big block. Lakewood makes a bell that will work but its a little spendy, or you will have to have the input bearing retainer machined to fit a big block bell.

Brewer's advertises a BB truck bellhousing with the 5.125 bearing diameter.
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH272
But likewise, not cheap at $399.95, well it's not cheap in my book anyway!

Use any factory car BB bell with a 4.80 opening.
Buy a 4.80 bearing retainer from Brewers, change it on your trans.
Depending on which bell you end up using dedicates which flywheel you need.
Buy BB motor mounts for a truck and bolt it in.
As far as the z-bar call Wayne at Brewers, he will know what you need.
Also you will need a radiator, check out Leadfoot racing for a reasonable aluminum radiator.

any ideas on what flywheel and z bar to use?

The Bell housing dictates what flywheel is needed , what is the part number of the bellhousing ?

There are 2 flywheels , a 143 tooth and a 130 tooth . As far as the bearing retainer goes , you can buy one that fits the od input bearing size and will fit the bearing retainer size of the bellhousing .

Z Bar , you'll have to modify that unless you get the one that was used with the truck bellhousing .

Just for reference you probably wouldnt want to run big block with an OD. The way the power transfers through the countershaft in 4th wouldnt take long to destroy it.

-
Back