Bbody rear and Tires

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Im going with a B Body REar and I want to know. What back space will i need to keep my ET radials from hitting the springs. My tires barely clear right now with a 8 1/4 and I want to use a 275 or bigger tire like max 315. And what size wheel will i need 15x10? or 15x8? I want the most traction possible.

Just remeber that the rear to use is a 1966-7 coronet or belvedere non wagon rear end. There is a difference in width. I use 15x8 with a 5.5 offset or 15x10 with a 7.5 if you mini tub. with 275/60-15 tires on the 8s and 28 12.5-15s on the 10s. I would never run the 275s on the 10s. The look and handle like crap.

Here's a chart with dimensions: http://www.mymopar.com/axledims.htm

I have a Demon with the early (1962 -70) B-Body 8 3/4. The springs are also moved in 3/4" with offset hangers. The chart shows that the B-Body will move the wheel out about 1.8" per side. This adds up to abot 2.5" tire to spring clearance per side over stock A-Body. The problem is you need custom back spacing to center in wheel well.

I'm looking for new wheels and tires also. Interested to see what replies you get.

I had my b-body rear narrowed slightly. With 16x8" wheel with 4.5" backspace and 255 tire it will just clear the lip of the opening. I've got offset springs, though I don't need it with this combo. I could fit a 275 with a wider wheel and another 2" of backspace but that doesn't leave a lot of wheel dish.

Now, if you're into jacked up rear ends....

well I think im going to use 15x10 wheels with 315 tires on b body rear that way the wheels go under a little more and i can have more tire

There is a difference in width between the 1966-7 b body rears and 68-70. 66-67 are narrower. I have been doing this for years, trust me.

There is a difference in width between the 1966-7 b body rears and 68-70. 66-67 are narrower. I have been doing this for years, trust me.

DragDak, enlighten me please. What are the dimensions for the 66 & 67 (flange to flange)? Also, I would assume they use different length axles, is this true? This is all good info for identification purposes. One last question; your comment on 275 on 10" wheel, what type of tire are you refering to, a street radial, drag radial or slick? More details please.

74Burntorange - sorry not trying to hi-jack your thread, but this is good to know info.

-
Back