Status
Not open for further replies.

dust

B5PistolGrip.com
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
BBP Rear Brake Backing Plates 10x2.5" for 8.75.

I'm converting my 1972 8.75 to BBP and need the backing plates. Hardware would also be desired but not needed.

San Diego, CA

Look for 73 and up 7 1/4 with 10" brakes, everything bolts right on if you use Dr. Diff's axles.

just finished a complete set..10 x 2.5 cleaned assembled with new shoes and new drums..pm if interested..j

They are the same. I had a 7.25 in my duster when I bought it. I installed a factory hemi car Dana and moved all the rear brakes over and everything fit perfectly.

They are the same. I had a 7.25 in my duster when I bought it. I installed a factory hemi car Dana and moved all the rear brakes over and everything fit perfectly.

Not all 7 1/4 backing plates will work. I have a 75 Dart in the shop right now with a SBP 7.25 and they are different.
I think the newer 7 1/4 BBP backing plates are the same but many of the early 7.25s have a 4 bolt pattern that's different than the five hole pattern (you can't just drill a hole). Also, the offset difference that's a problem on the SBP 8 3/4 A body rear may be an issue on early 7.25s as well.

I have a correct set on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33096658105...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_3229wt_1119

Not all 7 1/4 backing plates will work. I have a 75 Dart in the shop right now with a SBP 7.25 and they are different.
I think the newer 7 1/4 BBP backing plates are the same but many of the early 7.25s have a 4 bolt pattern that's different than the five hole pattern (you can't just drill a hole). Also, the offset difference that's a problem on the SBP 8 3/4 A body rear may be an issue on early 7.25s as well.

I have a correct set on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33096658105...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_3229wt_1119

You are correct the only difference is the missing lower center hole which can be drilled or just remove the stud in the housing.

You are correct the only difference is the missing lower center hole which can be drilled or just remove the stud in the housing.

I have actually had 60's 7 1/4s where the four holes had a totally different "x" pattern. It would be necessary to drill all five holes on that style.

I have actually had 60's 7 1/4s where the four holes had a totally different "x" pattern. It would be necessary to drill all five holes on that style.

I never saw a 60's 7 1/4 with big bolt in a a-body

Just to be clear on my statement. My 7.25 must have been out of a newer model than my car. 73'-76' possibly? It was BBP and has the same pattern as 8.75 and dana 60. I thought we where talking big bolt pattern 7.25's that why I said it is the same as 7.25's. Not taking into account older 7.25's with small bolt pattern. I still have my old set up if your in need I went to Wilwood drag disk setup. PM me.

To summarize all of this: The later model LARGE bolt pattern 7 1/4 rear backing plates will work. Sometimes you have to drill the extra hole but I've actually had some that had the 5th hole in it. The small bolt pattern 7 1/4s are not likely to work. All 8 1/4, 8 3/4 (non A body), 9 1/4 and 9 3/4 (dana) and 4 1/2 BP truck brakes should work as well. It's not a hard set of brakes to find!

To summarize all of this: The later model LARGE bolt pattern 7 1/4 rear backing plates will work. Sometimes you have to drill the extra hole but I've actually had some that had the 5th hole in it. The small bolt pattern 7 1/4s are not likely to work. All 8 1/4, 8 3/4 (non A body), 9 1/4 and 9 3/4 (dana) and 4 1/2 BP truck brakes should work as well. It's not a hard set of brakes to find!

what he said

Thanks. Purchased plates from whitepunkonnitro.

Advice for future buyers: measure plate laying on back from top of mounting plate to the bench it's sitting on. Measurement should be 1.75", not 1.5".

Wait, how will later 7.25 BBP backing plates work on any 8.75 housing? Even if the 7.25 is BBP, it's still a smaller diameter axle housing tube, right? And this is assuming 10" brakes across the board. Obvously backing plates from 9" 7.25 BBP brakes won't fit.

Yes we are talking about 10 inch brakes. All of the newer (mid 70s up)rears had the same backing plate bolt pattern on the axle flange on the end. The axle tubing diameter is irrevelant if it gets larger in the flange area. SOME of the later BBP 7.25 rears only had 4 of the 5 mounting holes drilled but the pattern is the same.

The difference in the SBP A body 8 3/4 backing plate and all of the later backing plates is the offset between the drum and the backing plate. Stock abody SBP 8 3/4 axles had a wider hub..they stuck out further. Using those backing plates with later BBP drums cause the drums to rub against the backing plates or lock up altogether.

The BBP pattern backing plates can come off of any 8 1/4, 8 3/4, 9 1/4, 9 3/4 dana, many trucks, and yes BBP 7 1/4s

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back