Beater Daily Driver trunk repair.

-

MagicMan

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I have an old 69 dart 4 door custom that's been my DD for a few years now. My question is that the trunk is finally rusted out and coming apart to the point it concerns me from a structural perspective. In reality the old car isn't nice enough nor do I want to spend the money for a new trunk pan, trunk extensions, etc. so my question is would it be reasonable to cut the entire trunk floor out up to the gas tank hump, run some 1x1 square between the frame rails or on top of the rails, and then fit and weld in a new floor out of 1/8" steel plate. I would make a left and right half then perimeter weld the whole thing including the outer quarter panels. Like I said I'm not looking for pretty, just strength and function without spending an arm and a leg. I'm open to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

:burnout:

Go for it! 1/8" plate might be a bit overkill, though.

I cut sheet metal off a donor car to patch some holes...go for it!

Go to a U-pull it junkyard with a cordless sawzall and cut the trunk floor out of a newer car if you can find on with a similar shaped floor.

Id go same gauge metal as what was there, but id fix the leaky windows first. Most floor rot occurs from leaky windows, and soggy carpets, or soggy trunk mats

I used 22 ga sheet metal to replace mine and I think 3/4" square tubing underneath for support.

-
Back