Beginner Bracket Equipment Advice

-

DDS74

Reaction score
After many years and thousands of dollars I think I have a half way decent car to start bracket racing with. My main question is in regards to equipment; specifically a weather station. Did the information that it supplied you help you choose a good dial-in, or do you run more seat of the pants?

I guess the main idea is, are the racing weather devices worth the investment of $200+, or would that money be better allocated to more fuel, entry fees, and parts. I've been running the car at test and tunes for that last few years to get a feel for it, when my schedule allowed, so I have seat time in it. Thanks for the advice!

For the digits on the car its best is 11.6 @ 115. It's a 74 Dart Sport with a 383.

Here my opinion. Keep good notes on every round. A few dollars for a log book is the best money you will spend.

A weather station and notes wont hurt. But without notes a weather station is useless.

I should add I get my weather info
From my smart phone every round

My car dials very similar to yours.

You don't need any of that crap. Learn to watch the flags and the other cars running. When in doubt give your self a little room and learn to run the top and of the track. You need to be able to cut a consistent light. burnout through 60ft and running the top end of the track wins races. Make sure your car itself is dialed in chassis and engine wise to be consistent as well.

I would not waste the money. I have used this site for a while now, airdensityonline.com ....Just look up your track and you have all the stats you need for the most part. Combine this with a log book and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
After many years and thousands of dollars I think I have a half way decent car to start bracket racing with. My main question is in regards to equipment; specifically a weather station. Did the information that it supplied you help you choose a good dial-in, or do you run more seat of the pants?

I guess the main idea is, are the racing weather devices worth the investment of $200+, or would that money be better allocated to more fuel, entry fees, and parts. I've been running the car at test and tunes for that last few years to get a feel for it, when my schedule allowed, so I have seat time in it. Thanks for the advice!

For the digits on the car its best is 11.6 @ 115. It's a 74 Dart Sport with a 383.
If you plan on running for points/track championship type thing i would make the investment,you will have for years to work with and as already stated notes and more notes,later you may look into a predictor to go with the weather stations as well,this comes in handy when you end up having to go into competition with no time trials, i know div 1 bracket finals you time trials on 2 different days but then go out into round 1 eliminations with no time runs on that day so that information can be handy,also if you make changes on the car you kinda want to know if the change you made affected the et or is it the air.You will find there are lots of ways to lose in bracket racing i probably have found most of them already.
On the other hand if you are just starting not really sure you want to do it i'd wait and get my other things worked out like stated above alot of races are won at lost right off the line so work that tree.Our ride 72 scamp 340 for now 11.21 best et 116 far from the fastest car in the class be we get it done

What ever works for you. Seen guys win using all the gadgets they can use. A lot that win around here run the top end and do damn good. They don't dial till they see who theyre racing. Then there was the old boy who showed up with his rusty dart, checked the tires once, sat there and smoked cigarettes, never checked anything and won all the damn time. For me the track is a fun place. The last thing I want to do is take notes and figure. IId rather bs with my friends.

When I was running in street class at SPR in the 80's, we didn't have all that stuff to help (?)....my car would run within 1>2 100ths every time on the same track on different days. Follow the same burnout routine and launch every time and you'll do ok, even when it heated up 10>15 deg (rare), we still ran the same numbers. Any race car thats set up well will repeat pretty much the same if you leave it alone, thats if your WOT till the traps, changes in altitude/tracks will obviously make a difference, so just dial what it runs on that day. Make sure your consistent and get to know the car well first before getting technical with stations etc...too much information can do the brain harm.

Learn how to cut a light. At my little mom and pop track you have to be .01 to .02 to go rounds in no electronics, and .001 to .01 in electronics class to go rounds.

-
Back