Beginning of the End - my 73, 340 Duster rest-o-rod???

-
Hey green1, Thanks for replying I guess when I'm "dug out" and can get to the car I'll figure out what's what with it. The engine needs a tear down for sure, it spins free but been sitting way to long to just throw on it what's needed to get it to start. Of course that's way off presently.

Took a "training the new puppy" day today, 4.5 mos old. It's a good deal of work, so I figured I'd give him some time today and work with him a bit. He's a quick study, but wants to revert back to his comfort zone, needs the consistent reminders of who the pack leader is and what his pecking order is. Fun, fun.

joe first of all happy b day,,,,

glad to see you have the nerve to be out in the garage in this cold,,clearing a path to your project,,,now ill be able to track your progress,,,and ill try to rememebr to swing by once in a while,,,heck i can throw a spark plug and hit your house,,,,

sittting here reading your tread,with no heat and its 6 degreees out,,waiting again for the furnace guy to return my callll hoping my pipes dont freeze up and burst,,,

you said you have ?? or had??? a 4 speed with a bolt on flange??thats called the ball and trunion,,,last year it was used was 1964, most of those in 4 speed fashion use a deep 3.09 first gear,,,and were used in the 65 formula S barracudas and dart GT chargers,, not sure but probably in the 1964 273 2 barrell baracudas also,,, i use one in my 66 but i converted it to a slip yoke tail shaft,,,

Don, The trunion / flange out put shaft trans I "had" was on the car when I sold it in 85. When I bought it back in 95 that trans was gone and now has the slip yoke type.

To help prevent the pipes from freezing keep the faucet furthest away from the kitchen sink at a slight run = no drips but as slow as a steady flow you can get without dripping. Can't freeze running water.

joe shame that tranny is gone,,,,

ok ill go up and turn on the up stairs sink,,after i get back from going to get some diesle additive,,,,,thanks man

Don, Please let me know if I can do "anything". Like you said I'm a spark-plug's throw away.

Well after finally getting the garage cleared and organized I was able to get started. Pictures below are from Fathers day, I finally got the car on all fours and out of the garage, blew the 10 years of dust off it and actually gave it a bath! Monday after work I went thru the trunk and organized all the trim pieces, glass I took our of a parts car I purchased for $100 about 8 years ago, vacuumed the trunk and re-stowed everything until I make room in the upstairs of my shed/mini-barn. Yesterday I removed the fuel tank - P U - that gas was way old. The trunk sheet metal is in strikingly good condition and will only require removal of the surface rust and the underside looks very good too. The only metal work I'll have to do on the back half of the car appears to be some light patch work on the driver's lower quarter and trunk riser, the passenger side looks too good to be true, the rails and everything else look to only have some light surface rust. Thank god its been sitting in my garage for the past 16 years. I plan on going after the exhaust tonight (saws-all) and then within the next week or so get everything that's been stored for years out of the interior. Then the eng and trans. I'm trying to locate an outfit that can media blast the car to provide a fresh "pallet" for me before I tackle the full floor pan R & R. If anyone knows a company that can do this (preferably at their site) in my area (Levittown, PA 19057) let me know as I've not been successful locating one within 100 miles. I'd like to find someone closer to me so I can deliver, stop in to check status and then pick up when they're done.

I'm getting really stoked to "finally" start making some headway on this "revitalizing of my youth" project.:toothy7:

Attachments

• P1010204.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 482
  • P1010205.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 468
  • P1010206.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 474
Wow.. that garage looks like 1968Formulas lol.. seems like Mopars are great for storing laundry on :)..

Looks like a great project.. just remember doing them is 86% of the fun.

Grant

Well after finally getting the garage cleared and organized I was able to get started. Pictures below are from Fathers day, I finally got the car on all fours and out of the garage, blew the 10 years of dust off it and actually gave it a bath! Monday after work I went thru the trunk and organized all the trim pieces, glass I took our of a parts car I purchased for $100 about 8 years ago, vacuumed the trunk and re-stowed everything until I make room in the upstairs of my shed/mini-barn. Yesterday I removed the fuel tank - P U - that gas was way old. The trunk sheet metal is in strikingly good condition and will only require removal of the surface rust and the underside looks very good too. The only metal work I'll have to do on the back half of the car appears to be some light patch work on the driver's lower quarter and trunk riser, the passenger side looks too good to be true, the rails and everything else look to only have some light surface rust. Thank god its been sitting in my garage for the past 16 years. I plan on going after the exhaust tonight (saws-all) and then within the next week or so get everything that's been stored for years out of the interior. Then the eng and trans. I'm trying to locate an outfit that can media blast the car to provide a fresh "pallet" for me before I tackle the full floor pan R & R. If anyone knows a company that can do this (preferably at their site) in my area (Levittown, PA 19057) let me know as I've not been successful locating one within 100 miles. I'd like to find someone closer to me so I can deliver, stop in to check status and then pick up when they're done.

I'm getting really stoked to "finally" start making some headway on this "revitalizing of my youth" project.:toothy7:

Get in touch with MoparAL here on the board. If you trailer it to Pittsburgh I know he would do it for you. He has done the following on my Demon - Both full floor sides, mini tub, spring relocation, custom frame connectors, tons of patch panels, full truck floor, and trunk extensions. Does great work, really fair price. He did 1/2 last yer for me and then did a ton of work this past winter for me. And will most likely do a ton more next winter too.

JOE,,,, yippieee,,,, looks like u need a fender,,, ill look and ask around see who does blasting,,, if u have a compressor u could do it ur self,, ide be glad to help,,,,,

This company does miedia blasting and blasting equipment sales
http://www.titanabrasive.com/
Although they are 2.5hrs away from you, they might be able to steer you in the right direction for a company closer to your location.
Rick

JOE,,,, yippieee,,,, looks like u need a fender,,, ill look and ask around see who does blasting,,, if u have a compressor u could do it ur self,, ide be glad to help,,,,,

Don,

I have both front fenders and a spare right one, front bumper, grill (cracked all to hell) glass, except windshield and I do have air, but I am not getting into that I want to have it done and not "sand" must be media.

Yes, Yip-pie indeed. Cut the exhaust off last night - may shoot for the headers tonight? Its been a while but I think the eng has to be lifted to get them out of the body - power steering and all that. So I may take a night off, or do something else - there's "plenty" to do for sure.

Got the headers unbolted from the head they're just resting in there till the K member & Eng come down. Dropped the trans yesterday, need to support eng w/something other than a stand from underneath so I can get it back on the ground - I'll figure out a piece of stock from above and chain to the back of the eng somehow - slow but steady. Will post some pics when there's something to show. Still trying to locate a media blaster in my area. Looking forward to Carlisle weekend after next.

Don,

I have both front fenders and a spare right one, front bumper, grill (cracked all to hell) glass, except windshield and I do have air, but I am not getting into that I want to have it done and not "sand" must be media.

Yes, Yip-pie indeed. Cut the exhaust off last night - may shoot for the headers tonight? Its been a while but I think the eng has to be lifted to get them out of the body - power steering and all that. So I may take a night off, or do something else - there's "plenty" to do for sure.

joe engine can come out from the top or bottom if u raise the car off of the K frame,,,thats how the factory assembles,,, i have a hoist if you need one,,

Yeah, I'll most likely go the conventional - ol-skool - and pull from the top. Thanks for offer on hoist, sounds like it's buried in your shed.

HemiPar - thanks. It's for sure long overdue. Progress is slow but steadily increasing.

I call them "Bling" wife called them "Motivation" :thumrigh:

Either way - more items needed.

Accurate Exhaust Products - 2-1/4" A-Body tips, hangers & clamps $150.
I scored a pretty decent grill w/headlamp bezels, nothing cracked or broken $70 (driven down with persistence from $120) Not pictured.

I guess if I start from the tail pipe extensions and work forward the car will be mint when I'm done? Of course I'll be 95 years old, broke and unable to enjoy driving it. :angel1:

Attachments

• Bling 7-2011.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 370
Thanks Don. They really are pretty sweet pieces. Thing that gets me about them is back in 78 I picked them up at Central Motor Parts (MoPar) Olden Ave, Trenton, NJ, for like $30 each. Course that was a good deal back then. They definitely make the sound of the MoPar though, so it's worth it. IMO

Every little thing you get done is one less thing you need to get done.....progress is a good thing......

inkjunkie - Thanks for the reply and encouragement.

old tired rebel - this is for sure going to be a long time before its anywhere near done, thanks for subscribing.

Planning on pulling the mill out this weekend, weather (heat) permitting.

inkjunkie - Thanks for the reply and encouragement.

old tired rebel - this is for sure going to be a long time before its anywhere near done, thanks for subscribing.

Planning on pulling the mill out this weekend, weather (heat) permitting.

joe,, im off friday and saturday comming up,, let me know if u need a hand ,,, e mail me,,,

Don, Thanks for the offer. Depends on how big the "Honey Do" list is and the temp index. Will give a holler if needed.

-
Back