Bellhousing question--will it work?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I have a 1966 Valiant with the slant and 3spd manual. I'm going to put in a hump, and get rid of the column shiftyness (I made that word. I think.) Question I have is this...I have an a-body 4-speed lying here, with a shifter and linkage. Will it bolt to the slant 3-spd bellhousing? I know some of the later bellhousings had multiple bolt patterns for the transmission. This is a 69 4-spd, btw, so I know I don't have to worry about the big retainer like whats on the OD units. Anyone know what the spline count is on the 3spd? I would like to swap this trans, but I don't want to take the 3spd out if its not going to work. Thanks for any help!!

I've got a '66 cast iron /6 bellhousing for a four speed, and it only has a bolt pattern for a four speed, and not for the three speed. Hope this helps.

Antoon

You should be able to look at you bell and see if it has the holes for the 4spd before you pull the 3spd. If it does your good to go you will need a different slip yoke for the 4 gear.

Thanks everyone! I tried to do some research online, and couldn't come up with anything concrete, so I guess I'll just have to climb under there and see. I am getting the feeling I'll be looking for a bellhousing though. For the 4-spd, is it the same yoke as the 727? I can't remember.

Input spline count is the same on both transmissions, 23, so you can use your existing clutch set up. The 4 speed uses the same yoke as the 727 and the driveshaft will be the same length. The input bearing retainer is the same diameter for the 3 speed and the 4 speed (4.35") but the bolt pattern is different for the 4 speed. You will need to find an early slant 4 speed bellhousing. The only dual pattern slant bellhousings I have seen were for the OD 4 speed with the 5.125" bearing retainer. You may be able to use an OD bellhousing with an adapter ring if you can find a competent machinist. If you go that route make sure you get the clutch fork since it is specific to that bellhousing. Went through all this putting an OD in my '66 Valiant and this winter she is getting an automatic since my artificial knee won't take a clutch anymore. Hope this helps.

The bellhousing that was in my 68 \6 3-on-the-tree Barracuda only had a bolt pattern for the three speed tranny. I had to get a new bellhousing to install the 4 spd.

Can't imagine that yours is going to be anything different. The 4spd bellhousing I got had both patterns and you could would see the two lower holes for the 4spd with the 3spd bolted up. So crawl under the car and take a peak. If you can see another set of holes you likely have a bellhousing that is designed for both.

-
Back