bellhousing spacer

-

Duster Drag Car

Reaction score
anyone have to use a spacer between there 727 to 440 block for proper torque converter clearance if so where did you get it all i see in summit is a midplate. Had my converter rebuilt and old drive hub was worn converter shop says to check for a 1/16to 1/8 clearance between flex plate and converter any thoughts on this old motor was a 383 now will be 440 with same tranny and converter rebuilt. may not even be an issue since i havnt bolted them together yet just looking for input. thank you Roger.

as long as you have the converter installed the three notches it will be fine... just bolt it up and make sure that you can still spin the converter once the motor is bolted to the trans....

the only time you should need a spacer is if the crank flange was made to use one. when you install the verter into (put about a pint of fluid in it) the 727 move it all the way into the trans. the mounting pads should be 3/8" to 1/2" behind the surface of the bellhousing. when the trans is mounted to the motor you should be able to pull it forward to the flex plate to bolt it on. remember the one of the mounting pads are offset as one of the holes in the flex plate are also. line these up before hand and paint one hole and pad. makes it a bunch easier and use loc-tite on the verter bolts.

Converters swell under a load so make sure you have the correct clearance.
If you don't the converter can trash your trans.

-
Back