bellhousings

-

emtfireman9

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a '76 dart sport with the /6 and 3 speed standard. I planning on putting a 318 in it. I was wondering if the bellhousing off of a 4 speed standard would bolt to my 3 speed. The 4 speed is out of a w250 4x4 that had 318 in it. I would like to keep the 3 speed in the car and just swap to v8.

It will if it has the dual bolt pattern. The bolt patterns from the three and four speed are different.

Would the slant six rear end beefy enough to hold up to a stock 318? What rear end should it be &I what ratios are popular for my yr model car?

If it is the 8.250 rear, it will be fine. If it has the 7.25, I would look for something else.

Hi guys, I got a '76 dart sport with the /6 and 3 speed standard. I planning on putting a 318 in it. I was wondering if the bellhousing off of a 4 speed standard would bolt to my 3 speed. The 4 speed is out of a w250 4x4 that had 318 in it. I would like to keep the 3 speed in the car and just swap to v8.

If it's from a W250, that means it has a NP435 4-Speed (A833 was only used in some 2WD trucks, the NP435 was used in both 2WD & 4WD).

So the bellhousing isn't going to work. They're a gigantic bell that isn't going to fit in an A-Body

if i understand correctly you want to use the bellhousing that is with the truck motor... if that is correct then, no that bellhousing wont work, they are 11" truck bellhousing and do not have the car 3 or 4 speed pattern on them. they have the truck NP435 pattern which is nowhere close.

as far as the rear goes it is probably the chrysler 7 1/4. being a /6 with the 3 speed it may have the 3.23 ratio, but its probably the 2.76 ratio as it was all about fuel economy in those years, yes the 7 1/4 will hold up fine to a stock 318 chrysler actually built 318 v8 cars with the 7 1/4 rears from factory. i actually had a 68 dart 4dr that i swapped a 360 into it was running 13.30's in the 1/4 with a 2.76 geared 7 1/4 rear. i never broke it!! but i didnt run slicks or drag radials with that rear im sure it would have broken then...

I missed the W250 part. Yeah that bellhousing won't work at all. I have one that will though if you are interested, send me a pm.

Where can I get a bellhousong that'll fit. I'm a full time paramedic school &still trying to stay full time @work so money is tight.

Here is the transmission comparison. The top one is the one you want. It is the heavy duty A230. The bottom one is the light duty slant six transmission. It will break behind a 318.

Attachments

• TRANSMISSIONS 001.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 239
-
Back