Belt rubbing water pump

-
Here's a better picture of the way the alternator is currently mounted. Is this the AC bracket or does it look more like a total hack job? Doesn't seem right having the pivot supported only on the engine side, and that could explain why the belt is hitting the water pump in the first place. Hard to see, but the pivot bolt isn't actually going into the block anywhere either, it just ends next to the valve cover.

View attachment IMG_1893.jpg

You should have a triangle shaped piece to support the outer alternator bolt.Also if you can run the belt on the outer pulley it will miss the water pump.

Here is a thread that should answer all your questions.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=200191

Thanks, that helps. I just ordered a new alternator mount so I'm going to see if things work reasonably well with that added. Then if alignment/tensioning is still a big issue, I'll go to the correct non-AC pulleys. Will post some before-after pics!

Here's a better picture of the way the alternator is currently mounted. Is this the AC bracket or does it look more like a total hack job? Doesn't seem right having the pivot supported only on the engine side, and that could explain why the belt is hitting the water pump in the first place. Hard to see, but the pivot bolt isn't actually going into the block anywhere either, it just ends next to the valve cover.

View attachment 1714764666

That's a hack job. Not like the stock configuration.

-
Back