Belt tension

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So I've almost got it put back together, But I'm going to have to run a electric fan I think.
I've been looking around the web for the proper belt tension, and thought I found it the other day but can't seem to find it again. I thought it was something like 1/2 inch of slack in the belt when the tensioner is tight. Does this sound right. I got 2 belts along with this stuff when I got it, one fits ok like it was the one he used and one looks to be new. But it's a little smaller then the older one. I can move the tensioner to the next holes with the new belt and get the belt to fit but it seems tight. And with the old belt the tensioner is on it's last holes and tension is all the way out, but the belt seems tight enough, but no more adjustment. Any info on the proper slack. Thanks

Attachments

• blower pic.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 184
one looks to be new. But it's a little smaller then the older one. I can move the tensioner to the next holes with the new belt and get the belt to fit but it seems tight.

Run it like this.

You want to have 1/2" of travel left on the tensioner before it bottoms out. (so collapse the tensioner spring almost all the way, leaving only 1/2" of travel )

Run it like this.

You want to have 1/2" of travel left on the tensioner before it bottoms out. (so collapse the tensioner spring almost all the way, leaving only 1/2" of travel )
Thanks, I can't tell from your picture, but did u have to run a electric fan? And where you able to use the old radiator or did u have to use something else?

Pretty sure you are asking about what the tension should be on pretty much any belt, and it is a half inch deflection at the center between two pully's.

Thanks, I can't tell from your picture, but did u have to run a electric fan? And where you able to use the old radiator or did u have to use something else?

Im running the stock mechanical fan. The stock radiator did fit but I upgraded to a larger aftermarket aluminum one.

Your upper pulley looks small. While a smaller pulley adds boost, it can lead to belt slip due to less belt wrap.
I tend to collapse the tensioners spring in an effort to provide max belt tension.
Just be sure to have 1/2" play left on the tensioner for thermal expansion.

You should check out 'MoparDude318' threads in the forced induction section, alot of good tech on radiator/ fan clearence issues. A shorter snout might help you out.

Im running the stock mechanical fan. The stock radiator did fit but I upgraded to a larger aftermarket aluminum one.

Your upper pulley looks small. While a smaller pulley adds boost, it can lead to belt slip due to less belt wrap.
I tend to collapse the tensioners spring in an effort to provide max belt tension.
Just be sure to have 1/2" play left on the tensioner for thermal expansion.

You should check out 'MoparDude318' threads in the forced induction section, alot of good tech on radiator/ fan clearence issues. A shorter snout might help you out.
Thank you. My mechanical fan hits the pully tensioner about a half an inch. I'm not against getting a electric fan I was just hopeing to try it out this weekend. I guess I will order a fan. I was going to put my high flow thermostat in but it looks like it's to big. Do you have to run a certain style of thermostat? The guy I got this set up from said he ran a mechanical gauge in the car to see the temperature. I am wondering if he ran a thermostat. As there was'nt one under the neck when I checked it out.
I did'nt measure the top pully but the bottom pully is a 6inch pully, the fella that had it before said he had 5lbs of boost the way it's set up. I don't know... I did buy a boost gauge from summit and was going to install it, but when I opened it up there was'nt anything in the package but a gauge. I called summit and they said they would put the stuff in the mail, it came as a extra kit and they missed it when I was ordering it so they said it was on them.
I will try and look of mopardude318 radiator stuff, thanks.

-
Back