belvedere rear end

-

aaadave

Reaction score
well, its finally time to change out the rear end on my dart. started out a 72 dart, slant six, 904 and 71/4 rear end. now has a 5.2 magnum, 904 and same 71/4. i'm going to use an 8 3/4 from a 67 belvedere. i'm still using the original 6 cyl. drive shaft, and i know i'll have to shorten it, but wondering if the small shaft would have the same u-joint as the 8 3/4? i hav'nt been under the dart yet to measure, but the 8 3/4 yoke is 2 1/8 inside. i believe that's the 7260 am i right? thanks, dave.

Does not really matter they make conversion u-joints for like $30.
It has 7260 on one side and 7290 on the other.
Napa sells them.

ya, i need to crawl under the dart to check. if the 7260 and 7290 is the only two u-joints they used, it's more than likely the 7260. i cant see them putting a big joint in such a small drive shaft. probably could use a bigger drive shaft, but down here it's hard to see an old mopar on the road much less in a scrap yard. dave.

That '67 B-body rear end is going to be pretty wide for a Dart. They work well on Dusters/Demons/Dart Sports, but they have more room out to the quarter. You'll need rear wheels with about an inch more backspace than "normal". Not sure what you're running back there, but for an 8" wide rim that would about a 6" backspace. For a 7" wide rim it would be about 5.5".

Also, about the /6 driveshaft. Some were tapered down at both ends, which makes shortening them difficult/impossible. Not sure if that's the case with yours, and or course it depends on how much the driveshaft is being shortened.

not sure on the drive shaft, will have to look. guess i could have a new one built using the old yokes. as for the wheels, i finally found some mustang bullit rims with the 5.72 back space, so it's time to act. been waiting for three years for some to come along, and found some with four brand new 245-45-17s for 350 bucks. could'nt pass em up. lol. iv'e had the 8 3/4 and disc brake spindles waiting in the shadows for 3 years, and now i'll wake em up. lol. dave

Why run a conversion joint when you're going to have to shorten the driveshaft? That would be mega stupid when you are cutting the shaft and could put the corresponding yoke on at that time. Total stupidness. Do it right.

-
Back