Bench grinder wheels. Recommendations

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
8in Delta bench grinder. 5/8 arbor. Looking for a longer lasting wheel for grinding mild steel 36-60 grit?

What wheels do you guys like? Brand, material etc

Last edited:
I think a 4.5" angle grinder works so much better for hogging off material than a bench grinder, I have a 6" baldor bench grinder that I use all the time but if I'm have to remove a lot of metal than a sawzall or angle grinder is what I use

Yup, get a hand held grinder, something you can use grinding discs, flap wheels etc on.

Yes. Have those tools and use them all the time when welding etc. Sorry I didn’t mean I’d use the grinder to make the SFCs. Thinking more along the lines of grinding small bits of steel and more delicate stuff that I can use the tool rest etc.

Use a grinder.

What kind of small bits are there on a set on SFC? Cradle at rear, tube, fish plate...

editing original post. Forget about the SFCS.:thankyou: :BangHead:

Just didn’t want to buy some cheap *** harbor freight **** that’ll go to dust after a few uses. Have used mostly Norton in the past.

Have used mostly Norton in the past.

I think that's what's on mine. Medium grit black oxide. It works well on all types of metal for small deburring jobs, hand shaping and light material removal.

Always nice to have a dressing stone on hand too, to keep the working surface flat.

I think that's what's on mine. Medium grit black oxide. It works well on all types of metal for small deburring jobs, hand shaping and light material removal.

Always nice to have a dressing stone on hand too, to keep the working surface flat.
Norton are very good.8”bench grinders will hog off so much faster than your typical 6” grinder.
I use a diamond wheel dresser. Best thing i have found so far.
They cut fast and dont wear out.
I also use it to profile my 4.5” grinding wheels....

I have a dresser as well which I agree is very nice. Right now I have a Norton 100 grit Aluminum oxide disc which is way too soft for my intended use. The other side of my bench grinder is a 6” wire wheel. I’ll keep looking out for a good coarse 8” disc.

You have a disc or a stone, sanding discs are nice for some things but I use a 100 grit stone for grinding lathe bits it's not as good as a green wheel but it works.
100 grit is great for grinding more precision stuff I would keep that and go with a 8" wire wheel. As far as stone dresser I have used a diamond dresser but found that a stone works the best, and they are cheap and last forever. This is the one I have been using for the last 5 years and it still looks like new.

McMaster-Carr

-
Back