Bending turn signal lever to clear aftermarket wheel-- advice?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I posted in another thread about my installation of the Grant 846/Tuff wheel clone...the spacer that comes with the installation kit only moves the wheel small amount away from the column and isn't sufficient for stock installation. However, I really like the extra arm extension that the more "distant" wheel provides.

Of course, this results in your hands hitting the turn signal lever whenever you're maneuvering in a parking lot, etc.

Has anyone bent their turn signal lever to allow the use of a Tuff Wheel (or clone) without the stock spacer?

What's the safest way to bend this without disassembling the steering column? A tubing bender, perhaps?

How much bend did you need?

Is a new lever difficult to find (or expensive) if I do break it?

Thanks!!
-Mike

I had to do the very same thing when I installed that wheel on my Dart. I just held the lever in the vise and tapped it lightly with a small plastic mallet. It belt easily and now I have plenty of clearance.

Ted

I think if you look close it is held in with just one screw not hard to remove. then you can bend it and trial fit it until its to your liking. I did mine but didn't like the wheel afer a couple of years and went back original. I may have the lever around here somewhere.

I had to bend mine, used a bench vise and went very gently just a little at a time till it suited my fat hands on the wheel.

Thanks, guys!
You gave me the nudge I needed to give it a shot. I clamped vice grips on it, bent it slowly back...got an extra 1/2" of clearance and that's all it took!! I'm a happy guy.

Now if I could just find the time to figure out my power steering pump bracket alignment (with the new 5.9 Magnum, I'd be in great shape in the steering department. :p

-
Back