bent frame

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
so i was working on my suspension today and notice that my frame has a dent on the passenger side like it was hit. after the dent it seems to go off to the right. i compared it to the drivers side. which seems to have a little bit of a deformity on the inside of the frame. which also make the frame go to the right. both these bends are right about where the front of the k frame mounts. im worried because my frame looks like a parrallelagram. i never noticed this untill i took my car apart. has anyone ever delt with anything like this? can it be straightened for a reasonable price?

Any collision place should be able to straighten it, I had one done about 10 years ago for about $400, but mine met head on with a trans-am

Does the car "track" straight?
Is the alignment correct?
Are all of the suspension mount points are behind the damage?
Do all of the body panels fit correctly?

if the damage is in front of the k-member it should be ok as long as the above answers are yes.

Quick check is to measure the opening of the engine bay diagonally from corner to corner ( passenger front to driver rear of engine bay and driver front to passenger rear) to give you a good idea how bad it is. fender bolts are not a very good reference as they can move in the body.

hey player1up. thank you for replying to me. this is driving me nuts. as far as the car tracking straight i dont know. i need to get it aligned because i am in the process of rebuilding the whole front end. thats why i noticed the bent frame. all the body panels line up good. there were dings in the car when i bought it but nothing unusual. i did notice that my front bumper is over about an inch to one side. im sure this is because the bent part of the frame. the bends are pretty much at where the front of the k frame mounts. on the passenger side. and a little bit in front of the k frame on the drivers side. i guess im just peronoid because im putting alot of money into this car and things like this just frustrate me.

here is a picture.

P6170863.JPG

Likely accident damage, and may not affect the handling or driving of the car, but for cosmetic reasons and assurance of proper alignment, that should be taken to a REALLY good frame shop. Usually there are a couple of shops that specialize in this area amongst 20 or so bodyshops. Many bodyshops will sub contract to hte specialty shop for all their frame work. That's where I would go, you'll get a better job done. My2cents, your $1000.

-
Back