Bent Lifter??

-

photorep

Reaction score
I am taking apart my 318 ci engine for rebuild and when I removed the manifold I found this bent lifter??(rod??)..I am not too concerned due to the planned rebuild, but what causes this to happen? Any guesses...Its the fourth one back from the front.

Attachments

• Bent Rod web.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 241
I am taking apart my 318 ci engine for rebuild and when I removed the manifold I found this bent lifter??(rod??)..I am not too concerned due to the planned rebuild, but what causes this to happen? Any guesses...Its the fourth one back from the front.

It looks like it may have been over revved at least once in its life.

Joe

I didn't notice any problem or funny sounds from the engine while it was running. Could it have gone on for a while like this?

With a bend like that in it, it should have fallen out when the lifter went back down.Maybe the lifter is stuck and the piston hit the valve. At the other end maybe the rocker is stuck in the valve closed position. It also could just be defective or stressed by over revving. Just hard to believe it still opperates without falling out. I had one fall out and it wrapped around the crank. Very not pretty. The valve could also be bent. I guess you get the idea that you need to figure it out.

I didn't notice any problem or funny sounds from the engine while it was running. Could it have gone on for a while like this?

I doubt it would have lived much longer. It looks like the pushrod is contacting the head, it would have eventually came out of the lifter and the lifter would have came out of the bore causing some severe damage at some point.

-
Back