Bergman Power Steering Pump Install

-

JD Erisman

Reaction score
I have a ‘67 Barracuda, I bought a Borgeson box, Saginaw pump, mounting brackets, low profile pressure hose fitting assembly from Peter at Bergman Auto Craft. Talk about a guy with patience, I have bothered that man with so many questions but he has never failed to answer me quickly, great guy. However, I don’t know if I have something installed wrong or something is not correct with my K-member/motor mounting because even with the low profile hose kit I have absolutely no clearance between either the pump itself or the pressure fitting and the k-member. I don’t have any of the mounting bolts completely tightened and the rear bracket is a struggle to get in place correctly, but I would think I should have more clearance. I’m not certain I will have enough room to tighten the hose fitting or the mounting nuts. In addition, it seems as though the pump will be at an odd angle no matter where the belt tension is set too and the pump also seems to hang pretty low in relation to the engine. Has anyone else experienced such a tight clearance between the pump/fitting and the k-member when installing the kit into your pre-‘73 A Body? Thanks for any input.

Here are some photographs of the pump and bracket locations, the spacers are not installed in these pictures, they are now. Even with the spacers installed their is no room between the pump and ke-member; the contact point in the picture is the engine mount “tower” arms.

3A5C36AE-BB67-4BE6-B582-2F2434A8F66C.jpeg

63F9A9C5-B1BC-4EE5-A7BF-5027F2979168.jpeg

BCF8E30C-1F2B-4440-9197-8975EF5A0D82.jpeg

Jeremy, put the drive belt on and give us a shot from the front. Also, is this a V8 K frame or a 6cyl K with adapter mounts?

-
Back