Best brake shoe?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`ve been looking over the available brake shoes for my 68 Dart and noticed that there are all types including ceramic, metallic, and organic. Does anybody have the dope on these different types? Which one wears the longest or stops the best? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Any input would be appreciated.

No first hand knowledge but I've been told ceramic holds heat and can warp rotors/drums. FWIW

I like the Bendix semi-metallic riveted. I would not recommend the ceramic.. they can become squeaky. I know that there is a member on here that put ceramic disc brake pads on his truck and he said it sounds like a mail carrier when putting on brakes.

I`ve been looking over the available brake shoes for my 68 Dart and noticed that there are all types including ceramic, metallic, and organic. Does anybody have the dope on these different types? Which one wears the longest or stops the best? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Any input would be appreciated.

Organics are easy on drums and stop great cold but wear quick but they are quiet. They do not dissapate heat very well and will fade quick if you live in the hills/mountains or are super cruising in the twisties.

Semi-metallics grab well and do dissapate heat well. They are hard on your drums.

Ceramics wear like iron and stop great once warm but suck when cold and are noisy and hard on drums.

Carbon fiber or carbon fiber blends are great if you can find them for your application but still require some pre-heating.

-
Back