Best Brakes for Buck

-
I have a A-body 8.25 suregrip rear end with 4.56's and also comes with an extra set of either 4.10 or 4.30 gears (I'd have to check to see what they are, they are in the box from Richmond), complete with 11x2 lbp drum brakes - $350

I also have a 73 lbp disc brake set up complete with 73 spool mount V8 k-frame for $400

So you can do the whole swap for $750 and have spare room $$ for bushings, pads, shoes, gear swap etc to go over everything.. The only kicker is its all located in Pittsburgh PA

PM me if I can help you out.

For new stuff go to Diff doctor.... even I am planning on using Diff Doctor for axels and some 8.75 drum set ups

73-up spindles
88 Diplomat police reman calipers and brake hoses
11.75" parts store rotors (plain)
11.75" adapters from Doctor Diff
Tubular upper arms (because of built in pos caster)

To 69mope, the 11.75 plain rotors you stated. What vehicle would they come from? would i also need backing plates? If so, any idea where i could source them from? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

To 69mope, the 11.75 plain rotors you stated. What vehicle would they come from? would i also need backing plates? If so, any idea where i could source them from? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

To get the 11.75" rotors, just ask for rotors from a '77 Cordoba at the parts store. The Raybestos part # is 7038R, Centric part # is 12163009. RockAuto.com has them for like $40 each.

You don't need backing plates. Modern cars don't even have them. All they do is trap brake dust near the rotor (causing squeaky brakes), block airflow for cooling, and occasionally pick up a piece of gravel to gouge your rotors with. :D Even if you wanted them, no one makes them, so your only source would be a 11.75" rotor equipped car at the wrecking yard.

To get the 11.75" rotors, just ask for rotors from a '77 Cordoba at the parts store. The Raybestos part # is 7038R, Centric part # is 12163009. RockAuto.com has them for like $40 each.

You don't need backing plates. Modern cars don't even have them. All they do is trap brake dust near the rotor (causing squeaky brakes), block airflow for cooling, and occasionally pick up a piece of gravel to gouge your rotors with. :D Even if you wanted them, no one makes them, so your only source would be a 11.75" rotor equipped car at the wrecking yard.

Thats false, modern cars do have them so please stop saying that. They do provide a useful function by keeping road debris off the backside of the rotor.
A simple internet picture search shows they are still used. Here's 3 more in addition to the two I posted last time you made this inaccurate claim in the "disc brake dust shield" thread.

2007+ Jeep Compass:
2007JeepCompassFrontBrakePartsComponentAssembly.jpg

95 Mustang:

95brake_diagram.jpeg

2011-12 Hyundai Genesis:

HyundaiGenesisSedanFrontBrakeComponentAssemblyAutopartslib_thumb.jpg

72blunblu, I'm converting my 72 dart to front disc brakes BBP. I have BBP spindles already. Can I ask my parts guy to get me Cordoba calipers, 11.75 rotors, brake lines? Do I need to order bearings or do they come as part of the hub? I just need to know what parts from what vehicle and year so I can have my parts guy can get me a price. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks:)

Thats false, modern cars do have them so please stop saying that. They do provide a useful function by keeping road debris off the backside of the rotor.
A simple internet picture search shows they are still used. Here's 3 more in addition to the two I posted last time you made this inaccurate claim in the "disc brake dust shield" thread.

Ok, SOME modern cars don't have them. Sorry. My 2004 SRT4 sure didn't have any, and its definitely not the only one. Regardless, their presence on some modern cars doesn't negate the argument against them. Heck, even if they came on EVERY modern car, it doesn't negate the argument against them.

What road debris, exactly, do they keep out? Water and other liquids will, and do, go right around the shields. I mean, if you can get the brake shoes on drums wet, what do you think the odds are of a little flimsy shield keeping water off your rotors? Dust and dirt get around too- just look at the inside surface of the dust shield. Ever seen a clean one? Shouldn't it be clean if it were keeping the rotor clean? As the personal recipient of a piece of gravel stuck between the dust shield and the rotor, they aren't even too good at rocks. And that little chunk of rock did a number on my rotor, BTW, even in the short time that it took me to stop and pry the sucker out.

I'll still argue that they're almost entirely useless, and cause more problems than good- ie, impeding cooling, trapping dust in the caliper, etc. They do a better job of keeping brake dust off the suspension than they do keeping contaminants off the rotor.

72blunblu, I'm converting my 72 dart to front disc brakes BBP. I have BBP spindles already. Can I ask my parts guy to get me Cordoba calipers, 11.75 rotors, brake lines? Do I need to order bearings or do they come as part of the hub? I just need to know what parts from what vehicle and year so I can have my parts guy can get me a price. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks:)

I'd stick with A-body brake lines, just get flex lines for a '73 Dart with disk brakes. I think the Cordoba's had rear mounted calipers, so the lines will be short if you go front mounted like the A-bodies were.

The calipers and 11.75" rotors will come from the '77 Cordoba, that's fine. Same with the wheel bearings, you'll need to get them for a '77 Cordoba as well.

Is there a difference between a Cordoba and 73-76 dart calipers and rotors? I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question. I'm going to replumb my brake lines for a much cleaner look. Will I also need a caliper bracket (Dr. Diff)? Thanks for the feedback and patience!!

The NEW factory knock off upper control arms from China are poor quality so you would be better off with quality used OEM arms or quality aftermarket tubular control arms. You can always buy the bushing kit from Dr. Diff (around $50) and use your current control arms.

Your upper control arms are a-body specific bit here is a list of other cars that you can gather disc brake parts off of.

Originally Posted by 72bluNblu
Yep, you can use any of the FMJ stuff too, including the spindles. They have slightly different geometry than the '73 up A body spindles, but not enough for most people to even notice. And the change in geometry actually improves the camber gain while cornering, so you can argue they're actually better than a body spindles. This is pretty nice, because a lot of wrecking yards still have FMJ clunkers in their yards, you can pull the spindles and brakes off of some of those models all the way up to '89.

You can also use the larger 11.75" FMJ rotors if you get the caliper brackets to go along with them, they use the same spindles, control arms, and even calipers as the regular '73 up 10.97" rotors do for an A-body. You do need to have 15" rims though, as 14" rims will hit the calipers.

Here's a list of all the Mopars that use the same 10.98" rotor. You can also pull spindles and calipers off of any of these cars. Some will have pin type calipers, but if you grab everything from the spindle out you'll get the right caliper brackets. Some of them also had the 11.75" rotors from '76 to '81.

CHRYSLER CORDOBA (1975 - 1983)
CHRYSLER FIFTH AVENUE (1983 - 1989)
CHRYSLER IMPERIAL (1981 - 1983)
CHRYSLER LEBARON (1977 - 1981)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER 1982
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY (1978 - 1981)
DODGE ASPEN (1976 - 1980)
DODGE CHALLENGER (1973 - 1974)
DODGE CHARGER (1973 - 1976)
DODGE CORONET (1973 - 1975)
DODGE DART (1973 - 1976)
DODGE DIPLOMAT (1977 - 1989)
DODGE MIRADA (1980 - 1983)
PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH CARAVELLE (1978 - 1985)
PLYMOUTH CUDA (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH DUSTER (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH FURY 1975
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY (1982 - 1989)
PLYMOUTH SATELLITE (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH SCAMP (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH VALIANT (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH VOLARE (1976 - 1980)

Here is a Volare that just arrived at your local Pull-A-Part. Maybe the parts you need are still there. Looks like you can get the parts you need for around a $100.00.

Location Atlanta South
Make Model PLYMOUTH VOLARE
Year 1978
Date On Yard 06/07/2013
Row 83

Pricing...

http://www.pullapart.com/parts/pricing.aspx?letter=&loc=3&#pricelist

Nice info .... thx

-
Back