Best E58 360HP Camshaft....your guesses

-
From MoparWiki this is a bunch of Miss information as to the camshaft and the crankshaft.

Engines
EH1 360 High Performance Chrysler LA small block based on the car division E58 police engine with upgrades. The upgrades included a 68 340 Chrysler LA small block camshaft with a 276 duration, .484 lift and 48 degree overlap. Then a double roller timing chain and gear set was added for durability. A set of 360 high flow heads featuring 1.88/1.62 valves helped moves gases in and out. It used a forged crankshaft with 8:4:1 flat top pistons and featured a bore of 4.00 inches and a stroke of 3.58 inches respectively. It is also believed the rocker arms and springs are more heavy duty than the standard E58 pieces used. Also, Chrysler topped the package by using a 850 cfm Carter Thermoquad 4bbl carburetor with bigger primaries and secondaries than the police version of the carburetor. The engine was rated at 225 hp @ 3800 RPM and 295 lb/ft of torque at 3200 RPM.

Note: The prototype Lil' Red Express used W2 Cast Iron Heads, Holley Aluminum Intake, and Holley 4160 4bbl carburetor. Again, this was only the prototype and not the production version that featured this items like some people believe.

My notes.
The 8th edition of the Mopar chassis guide for chassis book home page six. and 7 tells us that the camshaft used for the little red express was from a 68 340 with the last three numbers being 206.

On page 7 it says this and then it says the differences from the basic 78 360 truck engines are camshalfs from the 69 and later 340 4 Barrel, valve springs, red with damper from the 340 4 Barrel. They came with the above cam and the valve spring retainers we're replace with standard retainers replacing the rotator type.
My rusty brain cells tell me that it did have a special surface hardened crankshaft in that motor. Not a forged crankshaft, but a media blasted surface hardened crankshaft.
For carburetor it just says "Large thermoquad as in 78 police application." So I'm assuming that's the 400 or 440 thermoquad.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of 79 300's sounded mean but were dogs. Just cut the heads 60 or more and use a stock 340 cam. If you're on a tight budget Use the stock intake and carb. re-jet as required (a lot). Or use the 318 heads as AJ said. You need a lot more comp. than stock but it will run fine like this. O and lots of luck on beating that 340. lol

Youre the one that had the baddest low dollar combo's around and proved that with fine tuning and low budget it can be done !
When I put together a mirror to a stock 360 4bbl, with stock exhaust manifolds, stock converter, and 2.45 gears, I was told what a slouch it would be. In fact, one person posting in this thread right now told me he'd blow his car up if I hit my guess at 60 ft time that I guessed. :poke: :D Trying not to muddy the waters... Anyways, I hit my number but I always let the car tell me what it can and can't do.

Youre the one that had the baddest low dollar combo's around and proved that with fine tuning and low budget it can be done !

I've been doing it and preachin it for years and I always get run over.

Last edited:
From MoparWiki this is a bunch of Miss information as to the camshaft and the crankshaft.

Engines
EH1 360 High Performance Chrysler LA small block based on the car division E58 police engine with upgrades. The upgrades included a 68 340 Chrysler LA small block camshaft with a 276 duration, .484 lift and 48 degree overlap. Then a double roller timing chain and gear set was added for durability. A set of 360 high flow heads featuring 1.88/1.62 valves helped moves gases in and out. It used a forged crankshaft with 8:4:1 flat top pistons and featured a bore of 4.00 inches and a stroke of 3.58 inches respectively. It is also believed the rocker arms and springs are more heavy duty than the standard E58 pieces used. Also, Chrysler topped the package by using a 850 cfm Carter Thermoquad 4bbl carburetor with bigger primaries and secondaries than the police version of the carburetor. The engine was rated at 225 hp @ 3800 RPM and 295 lb/ft of torque at 3200 RPM.

Note: The prototype Lil' Red Express used W2 Cast Iron Heads, Holley Aluminum Intake, and Holley 4160 4bbl carburetor. Again, this was only the prototype and not the production version that featured this items like some people believe.

"As far as I always knew" there were only TWO factory 340 grinds and they were both split pattern camshafts. The 68 340 4 speed being a little more robust. The 68 340 auto and "all the rest" were all the same. At least that's what I've always read and experienced. Were there more 340 grinds from Chrysler? I've never seen one......not that that means a damn thing.

Can't find my 69 70 and 72 service manuals to document what I am saying.

Last edited:
I know there were more than two 340 camshafts. There were 2 differant ones in 68 alone. Then 69 had a differant one and 72 had a different one.
If someone wants to discuss this I guess I can pull out all my manuals and start looking through them to get the specs on the different 340 camshafts for the different years but as it stands right now I'm not going to do it.

I never knew that, which is why I used phrases like "as far as I knew" and THEN ASKED the question if there were anymore grinds from Chrysler and you disagreed? So that's what I get for asking for info? Then even said "not that that means a damn thing" regarding what "I thought I knew".

I can't find my service manuals that I need therefore you're right.

Last edited:
I disagreed with you because what you said was wrong. Don't go getting hyper on me now. I'm tired of people putting out wrong information on that little red express motor or for that matter on any Mopar Vehicle or motor. Get your facts straight then make a comment.

Well, I clearly said I didn't know and ASKED for correct information. I can't make it any clearer than I did that I DID NOT ******* KNOW.

The 68 340 manual cam has
.444 lift intake
.452 lift exhaust
276° intake duration
284° exhaust duration
52° overlap

The 73 340 Cam
and the 68 340 automatic and
the 75 & 76 360 Hp Cams are the same specs
.429 lift intake
.444 lift exhaust
268° intake duration
276° exhaust duration
44° overlap

The 2bbl, 4 bbl and Calif 75 & 76 360
.410 lift
252° intake duration
252° exhaust duration
33° overlap

Last edited:
The 76 360 Hp Cam
.429 lift
268° intake duration
276° exhaust duration
44° overlap

The 2bbl, 4 bbl and Calif 76 360
.410 lift
252° intake duration
252° exhaust duration
33° overlap
My stomach now has a 44* overlap on my belt

The 73 340 Cam
and
The 75 & 76 360 Hp Cam are the same specs
.429 lift intake
.444 lift exhaust
268° intake duration
276° exhaust duration
44° overlap

The 2bbl, 4 bbl and Calif 75 & 76 360
.410 lift
252° intake duration
252° exhaust duration
33° overlap

Ok so those are "360" cams. I said 340 cams. How many 340 specific grinds were there?

I see you went back and added the missing lift. See this is where I'm confused. I "thought" the 73 340 specs you have here went all the way back to 68 in the auto and 4 speed cars after 68. The 68 4 speed cam was the only other 340 grind I knew about. What are some more?

This article from AllPar for example, only recognizes two 340 camshaft grinds. Do the service manuals show more for the 340? I knew there were a few more for the 360, but not the 340.

The Amazing Mopar (Dodge/Plymouth) 340 V8 Engine

This article has a few things that I cannot confirm or deny without finding my manuals. But he is saying that the 72 340 had a smaller camshaft than the others. And then he says that the 73 340 brought back the 68 automatic camshaft

This article has a few things that I cannot confirm or deny without finding my manuals. But he is saying that the 72 340 had a smaller camshaft than the others. And then he says that the 73 340 brought back the 68 automatic camshaft

I didn't read it that way. All I see are TWO grinds brought up. Where he talks about the manuals, he is talking about the 68 only 4 speed camshaft, I believe, although he does not specify that. That's the only other 340 camshaft that "I" was aware of that was different than "all" the rest. It was my understanding that it was all by itself (the 68 4 speed cam) and then all the "other" 340 cams past 68 and the 68 auto camshafts were all the same. Clearly, if you have other info, I am probably mistaken, but like I said in my first post about it, this will be the first I've ever heard of three or more 340 cam grinds. Everything I have ever read or heard people talk about there were only the two. I'm certainly interested in anything you have that shows otherwise, cause I'll be learnin somethin new.

This may not be right but, my understanding is that the 68 manual trans 340 had a more aggressive cam then the automatic cars. Then the 69-73 340 had the 68 automatic cam. 74/75 360 hp engine has the 68 340 auto cam. Don’t know about the 76 360 darts/dusters. Kim

This may not be right but, my understanding is that the 68 manual trans 340 had a more aggressive cam then the automatic cars. Then the 69-73 340 had the 68 automatic cam. 74/75 360 hp engine has the 68 340 auto cam. Don’t know about the 76 360 darts/dusters. Kim

That's always been how I understood it too. And also that the 306 did use the 340 auto camshaft for at least one year....though I've seen people talk about it being used later.....I have no experience there so......

I didn't read it that way. All I see are TWO grinds brought up. Where he talks about the manuals, he is talking about the 68 only 4 speed camshaft, I believe, although he does not specify that. That's the only other 340 camshaft that "I" was aware of that was different than "all" the rest. It was my understanding that it was all by itself (the 68 4 speed cam) and then all the "other" 340 cams past 68 and the 68 auto camshafts were all the same. Clearly, if you have other info, I am probably mistaken, but like I said in my first post about it, this will be the first I've ever heard of three or more 340 cam grinds. Everything I have ever read or heard people talk about there were only the two. I'm certainly interested in anything you have that shows otherwise, cause I'll be learnin somethin new.

He wrote differant specs for the lift for 70-71 and list 2 cams for these yrs.

1970-71 engines were painted orange; they changed to blue very late in the 1971 model year; the camshaft on automatics had a 268° intake and 276° exhaust opening duration, with 44° overlap (manuals had 276° intake, 284° exhaust, 52° overlap). Valve lift was 0.430" intake, and 0.445" exhaust.

I can't find my service manuals that I need therefore you're right.

I don't give a **** about bein right. I want the right info out there. If I'm wrong I need to know it. That's the whole point of me asking about it.

He wrote differant specs for the lift for 70-71 and list 2 cams for these yrs.

1970-71 engines were painted orange; they changed to blue very late in the 1971 model year; the camshaft on automatics had a 268° intake and 276° exhaust opening duration, with 44° overlap (manuals had 276° intake, 284° exhaust, 52° overlap). Valve lift was 0.430" intake, and 0.445" exhaust.

Well, like I said, I've never in my life seen or heard of the 68 4 speed cam being used in any other year. Course, I ain't seed it all by a country mile either, but that coincides with everything I've ever read everywhere including on this forum. Certainly, it's entirely possible they used that more aggressive 4 speed cam later than 68. This will be the first I've ever seen or heard anything about it......but like I also said, that don't mean "much".

-
Back