best educated guess on HP

-

mcat

Reaction score
stock 2006 5.7 short block.
stock 2009 eagle heads.injectors and intake..
comp 273 camshaft(in straight)
85mm throttle body.
.074 cometic head gaskets.(11.5-1comp)
custom push rods.
mega squirt 3
professional tuning
tti 1 3/4 headers no cats
walbro 400 lph fuel pump 3/8 fuel line.
what kind of power should this pig make?

The cam, displacement and compression are probably the biggest differences between what you want to build and a 6.1. Since an Eagle 5.7 is rated around 375hp, I'd imagine an additional 50ish over a stock Eagle, 25 over a 6.1. I think that might even be generous...

You guys are crazy. The eagle heads may be good for 20 over the stock 5.7 heads. That cam is not enough to take advantage of the heads......420-430 flywheel at best. Its a poorly matched combo too. That 273 cam isn't good for much of anything except a smooth idle. It bleeds off too much cylinder pressure down low and cars that run it are turds until 3500 rpm. Maybe 340 wheel horsepower on a dynojet assuming the tuning is solid

I dont doubt LXModguy about the cam, that was like THE baddest cam you could get to work with a factory computer at one time was it not? Honestly with a MS3 you have the advantage of not worrying about idle characteristics with factory ecu and you can get gnarly with duration and lsa. What valve springs mcat? LXM guy I also know that tuners have made leaps and bounds with the factory ecu since this cam was ground.

on the camshaft, it is actually a brand new HHP stage 3 N/A cam. it is advertised as 273 duration..i just assume it is a comp 273 since comp makes it.. might not be...
the springs are 6.1 intakes shimmed.. 125 on the seat.. this is what i have, it is a done deal. it will be assembled as soon as the head gaskets arrive...

on the camshaft, it is actually a brand new HHP stage 3 N/A cam. it is advertised as 273 duration..i just assume it is a comp 273 since comp makes it.. might not be...
the springs are 6.1 intakes shimmed.. 125 on the seat.. this is what i have, it is a done deal. it will be assembled as soon as the head gaskets arrive...

Are you going to dyno it when done? I'll be curious to hear what it makes.

That's more than likely not the comp cam. Do you have the cam card? Can you post the specifics? I'll make a guess if you post the cam specs.

Wade

it will be tuned on a dyno by Rich Kalb, (he is the BES tuning guru!)
also this will have a 727 trans 3200 stall and 373 gears with 27 inch drag radials

You can call me crazy, but I bet it's 500+flywheel. Oh, did you say BES :)
Let us know how the tuner likes the MS 3, I may go with it also.

Wow BBSWINGER, That is a mighty specific prediction, if your right can you share your lottery numbers, I might just have to buy a lotto ticket for a change. :)

Considering Hot-Rod got nearly 500 HP out of a nearly stock 5.7 with ported heads, the biggest cam offered by Comp, and a set of long tube headers I actually think that BBSinger is probably in the realm of reality.

The limiting factors are the intake with its longer runners and cam, both of these are good for driveability and overall performance, but bad for a high HP number. Thus a 450 HP number is very respectable.

Also, keep in mind that not that long ago 450 real HP was HUGE.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

-
Back