Best fuel / ECS system to use?

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
I've been going round and round with this, and still not sure what's the best path to take.

67-70 system, non ECS, vented to atmosphere
71 - crazy ECS setup with four gas tank "vent lines"
72-up - simplest setup, single gas tank "vent line"

Since my car is going to the body shop tomorrow, I would like to make sure I have the right gas cap for my application. I have a 340 going in, not stock by any means. But that doesn't mean I can't use the ECS system in some shape or form. I have a new repro 71 gas cap, the original '71 filler neck, and a 72-up gas tank. What's the best way to proceed?

Because of the body fitment issues, and having an ECS system is just better and won't leak gas down the quarter panel (if done right), and because I have a 71 car, I decided to stick with the 71-only gas cap and filler neck. But I don't plan to use 71-only four gas tank "vent lines" setup. I'm getting new trunk extensions put in so the hole for extra vent pipe in the trunk floor won't need done.

But what else do I need to do to make the 72-up system work properly on a non-stock 340 engine? I don't want to mount a 72-style charcoal canister in the engine bay, but I'm open to using one hidden. Or going with the 73-76 setup where they just put that single vent line up to the engine. But where should it go and do I need some other type of valve?

Sorry for the long read, it seems this stuff isn't easy to just set up and go without proper thought on the right way to do it so you don't have gas leaks, engine hot starting/idling issues, etc....

-
Back