Best Hammer/ Dolly Set advice from a Pro Panel Beater

-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on a quality Hammer/ Dolly set from our pro panel beaters on the forum.

Not looking for a low quality, Amazon, or Chinese made set. Looked at the Covel set, but figure I am paying at least $100 more for Ron's name on them.

Thanks in advance for those that post a reply.

Tom

@67Dart440GT can help with this if he's not incredibly busy. He's a professional body man by trade. What say you Colin?

The Heal and Toe style dolly's are very handy, easier to get into a lot of tight spaces.

Screenshot_20240421-054322_Firefox.jpg

Other simple 50.00 hammer dolly sets, the hammers are less than ideal but can work.

Screenshot_20240421-054001_Firefox.jpg

My favorite finishing hammer is a thin flat face with the chisel point made by Snap on Tools. The head and handle has the good balance to it, but in today's world you will pay 10 times the price for a good Snap On hammer set.

Screenshot_20240421-053743_Firefox.jpg

And yes ouch > the good Snap On hammers bring a good price even used.

Screenshot_20240421-053828_Firefox.jpg

Depends if you are a career professional or a weekend warrior as to the value you can get out of the particular sets.

☆☆☆☆☆

I should probably mention there are 2 types of hammers.

Finishing hammers with the machined larger round flat face.

And Rough In hammers with more of a Cast head.

☆☆☆☆☆

I've had my snap on set for over thirty years, just had to replace a couple of handles. Mostly by my own fault

Somewhere along the line I lost most of the body tools I kept from my Snap-On truck, but I still have all of my dollies. They’re getting a good workout on my Dart. I’m not a body man by trade, just by hobby, but I can tell you that cheap body hammers and dollies just don’t work the same, or five you the same finish.

I'm not much help. Most of my stuff is snap-on. I did get a screaming deal on a Mac set at a secondhand store. I like the Mac dollies but I rarely use the hammers. I really dislike fiberglass handles, not that these Mac tools are fiberglass. Too much shock from the glass handles.
My advise is to buy good hammers. Dolly's can be just about anything. If you are looking at metal finishing, then that would require some fine dolly's. I have like 15 different body hammers and use the same 2 90% of the time. The same can be said for the dollie's. One of my favorite hammers is a Proto. Practice is the main thing.

I mostly have Martin branded body hammers. I can share some photos later. Sometimes cheaper dollies are bit soft and actually work nicer for say skinning a door.
Thanks goat boy. I'm sure @PROSTOCKTOM will appreciate anything you contribute.

Got the Martin 7-piece set pictured above delivered today from Summit Racing. They were the same price as everyone else, but I used a 10% off racers certificate, and I am tax exempt, so they ended up only costing me $209.00 You can instantly tell they are of a higher quality than the Chinese made sets. Thanks to all who commented on the thread. I am very happy with the end result. Now it's time to get banging away. :)

Tom

-
Back