Best lug-nuts...?

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
Had a sobering experience the other day. Before taking the Dart out for a quick spring spin, I checked/tightened my lug-nuts on all 4 tires (among other things) and took off for a 20min ride. Did a couple burnouts/drove 55-60mph down the back roads and pulled in the garage. Re-checked the lugs, just for kicks and noticed they were noticebly looser, not real loose, but definately looser so that I cinched 'em back down w/ the 4-way again. The lugs are what came on the car, and look like cheapo part's store chromies.

The scary part is I drove the better part of 2007 without checking them. I'm thinking they loosened to a point then stayed put but still!

So what brands is everyone running? Good/bad experiences? I'm going to swap them out, but would like to make an informed purchase!

I work at a big tire distributor so I will try to help you! What kind of rims are you running, stock, mags, or aftermarket? Steel or aluminum? Maybe you didn't tighten the lugs enough, or overtightned them, you should have a tourqe wrench (aluminum rims need constant re-tightning). Also check and see if the nuts have bad threads, also check your wheel studs. Also check the drum/disc surface, any rust or crud? I try to stay away from the "elcheapo" lug nuts, McGuard make some very good ones, also if you are using a stock rim, get some stock lug nuts, they always work good too. Take a wheel off and take a loose lug nut and set it in the lug hole, does the beveled surface of the lug rest in the rim tight? If not you need to get the correct lugs.

Thanks!

To answer your questions.

- Running stock 14" steelies powdercoated black
- I tighten them w/ my cordless impact - then give 'em a cinch w/ the 4-way
(What's the torque spec anyway?)
- Drums (no discs) and they are clean, not prefect, but not nasty
- I'll have to check the lug "seat" into the rim, not sure...

Thanks for the links! I'll check 'em out...

Funny thing is my driver side front wheel has a slightly different style lug, and those stayed tight....so I know it's my others that are probably cheapies...time to upgrade to a nice new set.

-
Back