Best paint for K Member?

-

NukeSec1

DUSTinguished
Reaction score
We are dropping the K Member on my sons project car this weekend in preparation for the suspension rebuild. He's going to sand blast it to get the 37 years of road grime off of it. For those of you that have done this before is there a specific paint we should use for this application? One that works better than just an auto finish? For a minute I thought about going the truck bed spray in liner route. My thinking was that it's oil resistant, would hold up to rock chips and such better, and low maintenance. What works best for you guys?

We are dropping the K Member on my sons project car this weekend in preparation for the suspension rebuild. He's going to sand blast it to get the 37 years of road grime off of it. For those of you that have done this before is there a specific paint we should use for this application? One that works better than just an auto finish? For a minute I thought about going the truck bed spray in liner route. My thinking was that it's oil resistant, would hold up to rock chips and such better, and low maintenance. What works best for you guys?

Tractor paint............

On our Dart we used automotive paint. For the Duster, I had it powder coated and will never paint another one!

I used Por-15 Satin Black

DSC02341.jpg

I did mine with Rustoleum hammered black. Brushed on, fairly cheap & tough as nails.
C

Powder coating is the way to go. If you decide to paint it, buy Eastwood's 2K urethane w/ceramic. It dries very slippery and looks awesome. I have a restoration shop and really like that paint!

I used Hammerite, a hammered paint that can be applied over rust.
Cheap and easy to work

poweder coating has a much better mechanical resistence, but, hammered paint can be easely fixed if scratched.

Rustoleum oil base gloss black for me. Haven't done my Plymouth yet, but it's what I used on the entire chassis and undercarriage of my Beetle. It's holding up great. I brushed it on, but it can be thinned and sprayed.

Decided tonight. We are going the POR15 way with the chassis black top coat. Will post pics.

-
Back